Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I've been doing tons of research. Waiting another month or so for some more cash especially the check that "W" is gonna be sending everyone. I've also looked into the Fj cruiser, ford explorer and toyota 4 runner, but decided on an X unlimited.

Anyhow. When I first started looking at the unlimiteds, I was pricing out rubicons and I kneew that's all I wanted. I did some research and also really deep down I know I'm not gonna be doing any rock climbing or really serious offroading. At best I'll be driving on dirt roads at camp grounds or on a beach to go fishing once or twice a year. All that extra cash for a rubi would just be wasted really. So I downgraded to a Sahara and did a test drive. I was certain the sahara was for me, but the more I thought about it.. all the sahara's bells and whistles are things I really don't need either. the mygig was cool but not something I really have to have, I'd rather wait for the perfect aftermarket radio. I'm not planning to dump ice cream on my seats so I don't need the yes fabric seats. So now I'm going to go with an X and like someone else said it will be a blank canvas that I can upgrade as I need / want to. Plus, the black fender flares just look cooler.

so, unless you know you really, seriously need something for hardcore offroading, I'd say get an X and add whatever you want later
Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

i went down this road too, i decided on the ruby. i wanted the 4-1, the 44's the lockers, and i wanted it all included in the lifetime warrenty. i have had it offroad a few time since i got it in jan. and all i can say is there are no substitues for lockers. i have run lsd's on a few jeeps/trucks in the past and there not even in the same league as lockers. to each there own, in my case its the ruby.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default Like the X

You may have already made your decision but I'll ad my 2 cents worth. Im happy with my X so far. Got the 4door. I am only adding 31's altho I know I'll probably wish I had went with a lift and 33's or 5's but I couldnt afford regearing etc. I'm getting a shrokworks stubby front and rockrails. I have seen very few frame mount rails and that's what I wanted. Bottom line $ was an issue for me and I have found few cases that I really needed a front locker. So far I've been able to finese myself around it. The front Dana and the 4. rear were the only things I feel I sacrificed. As someone else mentioned, I can equip as I can afford and select the (better) products as the stock wear out. I'm a trail instructor with an offroad training company and I have seen numerous clients with X's do really well with them. That's the mainreason I felt I would be alright with not having a Rubi.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

No...never liked the electronic disco...don't believe the Yes Essentials seat materials make a difference...so what do we have left?...an X with just about everything a Rubi has, for $7000 less...can buy a lot of upgrades if one is pre-disposed to such things.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got an X and Im happy with it. It looks nice and i still saved money. With the money you would spend on a Rubicon, you can uprade to better suspension and wheels.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
i wouldnt consider the ruby even good enough for a Hardcore wheeler., I guess it depends on your definition..

I'm happy with my X, it'll be stronger than a Ruby for less cash, when i'm done with it.

I do wish. I would have ordered powerwindows.

Dont underestimate the RUBI, people spend thousands just to make their rigs as capable. Think a rubi is not hardcore... think again. It stood up to the ULTIMATE ADVENTURES IN PETERSONS OFF ROAD. It broke a U joint but that is not that big of a deal in terms of off roading. Almost every Ultimate Adventure has someone breaking a U-joint.

Driver: Ryan Hagel

Making sure all the participants stayed powered up was Ryan Hagel from Optima batteries. With only a mild lift and body protection, this mostly stock Jeep Unlimited Rubicon represented how competent the big brother of the legendary two-door is off road. However, we will have to give them the award for most techno garbage. Honestly, who needs two TVs to see the rock behind you?

Codriver: Matt Gannan
Representing: Optima
Stomping Grounds: California
Vehicle: '07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Engine: 3.8L
Transmission: Stock
Transfer Case: Rock-Trac 4:1
Front Axle: Factory Dana 44, 5.13 gears, Factory E-Lockers
Rear Axle: Factory Dana 44, 5.13 gears, Factory E-Lockers
Steering: Stock
Suspension: 4-inch Rancho long-arm
Tires & Wheels: 37-inch Pro Comp Xtreme MTs on 17x9 Pro Comp Alloys
Other Stuff: Warn 9000 RC winch, Mastercraft seats, Optima batteries (blue, red, and yellow)
Best Breakage: Front axle U

This excerpt was taken from http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/feature..._cp_cs_rh.html

Last edited by JulietKilo; 03-19-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 03-20-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi! I bought the X/S model and love it. It has the LSD, I've done no mods to her and she'll go places that I really would rather walk through than drive through. The only real problem I have found is that the "All Terrain" tires really don't perform well in mud. This I plan to rectify with same-sized diameter tires but narrower, more aggressive tread tires. We have a 1959 "true 4 wheel drive" Jeep that we bought new in '59 for a Brush and Forest Fire fighting vehicle. It has narrow tires with very aggressive tread and in all of these years it has NEVER been stuck! It has however plowed down many trees to create simple fire breaks and transport firefighters and water deep into the woodlands that simply have no roads! It also has no body lift, no fancy oversized tires, a very simple flat-head 6 cyl, low compression, carb fueled engine that always starts and never quits. I'd like to buy it when she's decommisioned but my guess is that I'll be long dead and gone and she'll still be putting out fires!
I just needed to brag a bit about her...she deserves it after all her years of service!!! I know the JK won't be around in 49 years!!! Take care... Mike
Old 03-20-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was on a volunteer fire dept that had a jeep like that! I don't even know old it is/was but the few times I got to operate it was like a big deal...only a few guys where "allowed" to operate it. I only ever saw it in action in bigger grass fires and there was nothing else we had that could do what it did!

Back on topic:

I have an X, originally I was going to go all out basic, the most basic base X and I was at a very good price. A few things changed: I went up to the S package because I wanted a few of the goodies right off the bat like the larger tires. I also added the power group...because ya I am to accustomed to remote entry and power windows. I also went to an auto tranny rather than the manual I originally wanted. I knew that my wife would trash the stick...that is if I could even get her to drive it.

Cost was a factor for me and I also didn't want to pay for things I wasn't sure I would use. I don't need to have the goodies just to show them off, I don't have that kind of money to waste. I figured since I am new to Jeeps and have not done much off road I would start more basic and add things as I needed or could afford them. If i don't end up wheeling much...no harm...if I do I'll see what terrains I enjoy and go from there.

I went on my first trail ride last weekend and was all worried that I would be "that guy" who is all stock and a noob and need all kinds of help...I was so wrong! I was able to get through deep snow mixed with mud, as well as climb some decent hills that where a mix of those elements. Not putting the other guys down but there where some beefed up rigs there and THEY where the ones having to get winched up the hill...I was told to just listen to the guy on the hill...everyone just kept yelling GO GO GO don't slow down! and I made it up just fine. I was very impressed with the capability of the X. I don't think I will get into rock climbing to much but rather the two-tracks and trails here in MI which are abundant. Also some sand but probably mostly trails.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by necros
I haven't gotten mine yet, but I've been doing tons of research. Waiting another month or so for some more cash especially the check that "W" is gonna be sending everyone. I've also looked into the Fj cruiser, ford explorer and toyota 4 runner, but decided on an X unlimited.

Anyhow. When I first started looking at the unlimiteds, I was pricing out rubicons and I kneew that's all I wanted. I did some research and also really deep down I know I'm not gonna be doing any rock climbing or really serious offroading. At best I'll be driving on dirt roads at camp grounds or on a beach to go fishing once or twice a year. All that extra cash for a rubi would just be wasted really. So I downgraded to a Sahara and did a test drive. I was certain the sahara was for me, but the more I thought about it.. all the sahara's bells and whistles are things I really don't need either. the mygig was cool but not something I really have to have, I'd rather wait for the perfect aftermarket radio. I'm not planning to dump ice cream on my seats so I don't need the yes fabric seats. So now I'm going to go with an X and like someone else said it will be a blank canvas that I can upgrade as I need / want to. Plus, the black fender flares just look cooler.

so, unless you know you really, seriously need something for hardcore offroading, I'd say get an X and add whatever you want later
Dude, stop thinking before you wind up in a Compass!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mdantonio
Hi! I bought the X/S model and love it. It has the LSD, I've done no mods to her and she'll go places that I really would rather walk through than drive through. The only real problem I have found is that the "All Terrain" tires really don't perform well in mud. This I plan to rectify with same-sized diameter tires but narrower, more aggressive tread tires. We have a 1959 "true 4 wheel drive" Jeep that we bought new in '59 for a Brush and Forest Fire fighting vehicle. It has narrow tires with very aggressive tread and in all of these years it has NEVER been stuck! It has however plowed down many trees to create simple fire breaks and transport firefighters and water deep into the woodlands that simply have no roads! It also has no body lift, no fancy oversized tires, a very simple flat-head 6 cyl, low compression, carb fueled engine that always starts and never quits. I'd like to buy it when she's decommisioned but my guess is that I'll be long dead and gone and she'll still be putting out fires!
I just needed to brag a bit about her...she deserves it after all her years of service!!! I know the JK won't be around in 49 years!!! Take care... Mike

Now THAT'S a jeep. Can I adopt her?

Quick Reply: Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?