Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an X and I like it alot. Yes, the lockers would be nice. I still wouldda got stuck yesterday, though. LOL I'm going to upgrade mine to a Detroit Locker/PowerTrax probably within the year. With those and some REAL tires, I should be able to go where any Rubicon could. The dealer where I bought my X had a Rubicon. They wanted 37K for it and weren't budging. I ain't doin all that.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought the Rubi so we wouldnt have to mod it much... yeah that worked real well.....
Old 03-18-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
OK call me stupid but this is the best piece of info I have read in months. I know about locking the diff with a slight application of brake but I was sitting here trying to figure out how to do it while I rev the engine and slip the clutch...duh. Sometimes I really wonder how I made it this far in life.
WOW this is great can't wait to test it offroad..... and I read the article .. it did make sense http://blog.chryslerllc.com/blog.do?p=entry&id=270
Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would hope that no one would regret buying whatever Wrangler they did. I say go with what your wallet allows. Stretching for a Rubicon won't be worth it if you can't buy upgrades and throw them on. I mean, I love my Rubicon, but you will be more than happy with an X. I always loved mine (previous Wranglers).
Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Yea I am really leaning towards the X. The Rubis are sweat but for me I believe that I will enjoy a modded X more than I would a stock Rubi and for less money.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:05 AM
JK Freak

love my X.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Yea I am really leaning towards the X. The Rubis are sweat but for me I believe that I will enjoy a modded X more than I would a stock Rubi and for less money.
True, that was my rationale. And it has been correct so far.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
One, JEEPS ARE NOT CARS.
Aww, you know what I mean Juliet.

Anyway these Jeeps are a lot closer to cars than Jeeps in many ways. I know it, you know it and it's why many of you bought one instead of a "real" Jeep(pre-1986). I know it's why I bought one.

"Power Windows", Air Conditioning", "ABS" "Traction Control","Tire Pressure Monitor" (which is very aggravating, by the way)? The list goes on and on. Please spare me your "Rock Crawling" and "Vehicle Recovery" Triumphs.

The upside is that it is virtually the only factory 4x4 with solid axles available. You can get (sometimes HAVE to get) the above "necessities', plus many more, including precious "Air Conditioning". all well and good, but simply, for the most part a street machine.

The downside is that it's a real chore/expense to make one into a "Real" off-road machine (which, stock, it is not).

The JK Wrangler is what it is, nothing more, nothing less. Enjoy it in that context. I will do so with mine.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

Talking bah, rubi shmoobi

I gotta X. I might have been able to swing a Rubi, but I don't wanna drop that much cash. Besides I got me some new tires now, and I bought a winch for 300 bucks. I can go anywhere a rubi can. Sure lockers would be nice, but I don't need them yet. I prefer a challenge. IF I get stuck, that is what a winch is for. They say the rubi is more capable out of the box, but who leaves it like that? How many rubi drivers keep there stock wheels and suspention?

Besides, I what fun is it if you don't have to think about how to manage with the other guys who have "Better" rigs, if you make it up the same crap they do, with less mods, and more cash in your pocket.

I will continue to build my X, but I don't wanna be as capable as a rubi, I will go further. so
Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Splash
No regrets. I bought a blank slate. It's ready to be upgraded as the wallet allows. Until then, it meets my needs just fine.
Exactly. I had a set amount to spend now, and though I may spend slightly more to get it to Rubi specs I can choose what to spend it on. - That said I would have probably bought the Rubicon had money allowed, but as it is I have no regrets going this way either.

Quick Reply: Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?