Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

Old 03-16-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camp Crocker
2 clicks on the emergency brake locks the rear
OK call me stupid but this is the best piece of info I have read in months. I know about locking the diff with a slight application of brake but I was sitting here trying to figure out how to do it while I rev the engine and slip the clutch...duh. Sometimes I really wonder how I made it this far in life.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very happy with my X and have not regretted not spending the money on a Rubi. I got my X with the Rubicon rear axel option, 32 spline and elctric rear locker, and the front electric swaybar disconnect and couldn't be happier. The X tires are not great off road but I have been suprised how well they actually do, but I am also not a big fan of running mud tires on the Jeep because it is a daily driver. I did finally break down this last week and order new tires more agressive all- terrain tires after I cut a sidewall on one of the stock tires last weekend.

The other two major differences between the two models are the front axel (locked Dana 44 vs. open Dana 30) and the transfer case (4:1 vs. 2.72:1) they would have been nice but I did not feel they were need for what I do with my Jeep, thus they didn't justify the extra upfront cost. I knew for the time being I am only going with 33's so the Dana 30 should be plenty strong enough and with type of wheeling I do the 2.72:1 has been sufficent, with the 6 speed and 4.10 gears my crawl ratio is actually better than a Rubi with an automatic.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepin Dad
I got my X with the Rubicon rear axel option, 32 spline and elctric rear locker, and the front electric swaybar disconnect and couldn't be happier.
Nice choice! Seems like it would meet most needs at a good price.

SV
Old 03-16-2008, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought an 08 unlimited with the 24s package, auto with 3.73 gears. It climbs steep grades like a fly, much easier than my YJ. I can go forward or backward from a dead stop up grades my friends lifted V/8 blazer with 35's won't touch. You guys in the Golden state have a more realistic need for a Rubi than us East coast guys because of the rugged real estate that is available to you. The basic wrangler will do probably 90% of what a Rubi will do with a little thought and some good spotters. If you want to get in and out of the ass-kicking spots get a RUBICON....GOOD LUCK AND GOOD WHEELING!!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Unlimited X, I originally ordered the Rubi, but the 6 month long wait and the fact that I had already sold my TJ and was driving the in-laws Saturn was enough for me to go ahead and get the X. Regrets kinda wish I had the 4:1 tranny, M/T's, rock rails and some of the other stuff that I had ordered from the factory. I still love my jeep and I don't wheel as often as I want so the X is fine.... besides now I can make it all mine with all the aftermarket accessories out there.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love my X too. With all of the money I save I am able to buy aftermarket parts which I would have wanted to do if I got a rubi anyway (but wouldn't be able to afford). After a while of replacing these parts, I am sure that my X can hang with rubi's no problem. Less than a year owning it and I am still happy with my decision. And there is no problem saying 'no its not a rubicon' because usually people think it's a hummer anyway.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Ummmm...lemmee see, I just dropped a wad on a new "X", I make stupid car payments and you want to know if I think it's a great car???? Duhhh.

Actually, my Unlimited X suits me pretty well, it's my "grandkid hauler". Out of all my Jeeps, it's by far the most comfortable, safest, and very capable out of the box. If I only had one Jeep, I'd have probably gotten the Rubicon, but I have a couple other Jeeps (Cherokee and Scrambler) that I pour endless money into, foolishly trying to hurt these old bones "offroad".
Old 03-18-2008, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One, JEEPS ARE NOT CARS.

Two, I had an X...

I now have a Rubicon and would never go back. My lockers have gotten me out of everything. Its so nice to have the confidence offroad. I have never gotten stuck yet. I am normally the one that people look for when they need pulled out.

Pulled out a Toyota the other day in a muddy lake shore.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

If you want to go HARDCORE wheeling than get a rubi. I got an X put some upgrades on it and use it as my daily driver and minor wheeling every other weekend
Old 03-18-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by greenmachine07
If you want to go HARDCORE wheeling than get a rubi. I got an X put some upgrades on it and use it as my daily driver and minor wheeling every other weekend
i wouldnt consider the ruby even good enough for a Hardcore wheeler., I guess it depends on your definition..

I'm happy with my X, it'll be stronger than a Ruby for less cash, when i'm done with it.

I do wish. I would have ordered powerwindows.

Quick Reply: Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?