Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the x because I got it optioned like I wanted for 6 grand less than the rubi that was optioned the same. I have put about 5 grand into my jeep. I have d44 front and rear, both with lockers. The front 44 has an arb with rcv performance shafts. I also have 35's with the OME LT lift kit. Im sure I can pick up a rubi tc for around a grand and then my jeep will cost me the same as a rubi except with a lift, bigger tires, ans stronger front axle. That being said though, if the rubi was only 2 grand more than I would have gone that route, but for me at that time it only made sense to go with an x.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I have no regrets getting the X. It has not failed me yet on any trails I've been on.

With that being said ... IF I upgrade in the the future to a Pentastar JK ... It will most likely be a Rubicon ...
Old 05-03-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

i got an x too bare bones, i like the crank windows and i do lots out doors so an electric key does not go well with that, i did upgrade to the 4.1 and d44,and d35 with my coler order. with a set of jks disco's and the new m/t you will most likely upgrade to, youll just about have your rubi for a hell of a lot less

dealers sales are down so play some hard ball and get a deal
Old 05-03-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got an x too and have no problems with it. The only thing I didnt like were the tires and wheels and I've changed them already. If you plan on upgrading, theres no need for spend the $$$ for the Rubi....IMHO
Old 05-07-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

I traded in my 04 X for a '10 Rubi and I have no regrets...My whole thinking was that I don't have any place to work on my jeep other than the front yard..I already do that for my motorcycle and I hate it...The Rubi has everything that I wanted to add to my X and after hitting some trails last weekend I have zero regrets...

I had every intention of keeping my 04 and putting new axles under it and modding the hell out of it...It all boils back to no place to do it..So I would have had to pay for all the labor and that just wasn't feasible for me...For the type of wheeling I do the only thing that I want to mod are the bumpers and adding a winch...Other than that she can handle what I need her to...
Old 05-10-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

i got 2010 sport and i love it will upgrade gears since i getting a lift and 35 by the end of the summer, rubi are cool since the are more have the d44 in the front and a few extra thing but nothing crazy that would want me to spend and extra 4 to 6 grand to later spend more to get lift and extras but i trade my sport anyday when they come out with one stock with a hemi
Old 05-10-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would not buy a rubicon and then modify it a lot. a stock rubi does more than what most people need though they don't admit it. if you want to tinker with aftermarket gadgets then save the $$ and go bone stock... put the difference into your goodies. i almost bought a rubi but since I had two previous CJs and loved to scrounge parts and modify the things I went to the X.

I bought an 08 X unlimited, 6spd with the "s" package... hardtop with power doors. I needed the dual purpose daily driver for work and the fun machine for trips. the hardtop w/pwr windows makes the 4dr a VERY useful SUV. I bought a soft top with frame for $500 from some guy on ebay for summer beach duty.

the 08 X came with 16in aluminum wheels (same size as my old pickup which my son has now). a guy sold me 5 new 18in wheels with tires from his sahara for $350 in 09... so those went on the jeep and the 16s went to the truck. I basically replaced the old worn out truck tires for $350. the point is... we jeep nuts swap stuff around all the time. if you are patient you can tinker with your jeep for not a lot of $$.

Last edited by barnettd; 05-10-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default X vs Rubicon

I am quite happy with my red 2008 2 door Wrangler X, now that I have my upgrades completed, but, I have been getting alot of flack from some Rubicon owners when it comes to "Stacking" (driving up on the tire of a Wrangler next to yours)

Those Rubicon owners have been telling me and my wife (in a round-about-way) that I should not stack because I do NOT have "lockers", or "flat fenders". I know Rubi's come with lockers, and I only have "stock" fender flares. I have an auto trans, 2.5BB, 35" MTR's on 17" rims, a short/stubby front bumper, and I upgraded my stock 3.73 gears to 4.88 in front AND rear......AND..since making those upgrades, I Have "stacked", with very little problems, TWICE, in the last year...Soooooo..What's the big tiff???

Could it just be a Rubicon thing ("click"), or Wrangler X "haters" (jealous)???
How about it Rubi owners?? Should ONLY Rubicon's be allowed to stack??
How about it "X" owners. Have any of you ever stacked before??

Here are pics of those 2 times I did it:

Thanks
Old 05-10-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is an answer from the opposite side of the ? I bought a used '08 Rubi 2 dr 6 spd because although it's my daily driver & I don't plan on a lot of upgrades it's ready for most of what I would get into stock. If your going to do a lot of mods start with the x.

Last edited by kittisman; 05-10-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TimzToy
I am quite happy with my red 2008 2 door Wrangler X, now that I have my upgrades completed, but, I have been getting alot of flack from some Rubicon owners when it comes to "Stacking" (driving up on the tire of a Wrangler next to yours)

Those Rubicon owners have been telling me and my wife (in a round-about-way) that I should not stack because I do NOT have "lockers", or "flat fenders". I know Rubi's come with lockers, and I only have "stock" fender flares. I have an auto trans, 2.5BB, 35" MTR's on 17" rims, a short/stubby front bumper, and I upgraded my stock 3.73 gears to 4.88 in front AND rear......AND..since making those upgrades, I Have "stacked", with very little problems, TWICE, in the last year...Soooooo..What's the big tiff???

Could it just be a Rubicon thing ("click"), or Wrangler X "haters" (jealous)???
How about it Rubi owners?? Should ONLY Rubicon's be allowed to stack??
How about it "X" owners. Have any of you ever stacked before??

Here are pics of those 2 times I did it:

Thanks
Stack on brother! Rubi owner

Quick Reply: Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?