Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K9JKdriver
I DRIVE CIRCLES AROUND MY FRIENDS..... but the key is the lockers......I drive a rubicon and dont regret it for one second..... I pull out stock X's every time I go out with 'em...... after I drive around the first...... but like I said it all about the lockers!
You have a stock Rubi and you have to pull stock x's out all the time after driving circles around them? Sounds like BS to me. What type of trails? What type of tires the X's running?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K9JKdriver
I DRIVE CIRCLES AROUND MY FRIENDS..... but the key is the lockers......I drive a rubicon and dont regret it for one second..... I pull out stock X's every time I go out with 'em...... after I drive around the first...... but like I said it all about the lockers!
I have an X. I have 33" M/Ts and some additional armor (rock rails, evap skidplate, etc). I go out with my brother (2006 LJ) and a friend who runs a lifted 2005 Rubi running 33s. I go anywhere the Rubi goes. It took some practice to figure out the proper technique for the BLD, but it works. Keep the RPM up near peak torque and the BLD will do wonders. It sounds like hell, but the tires bite and I get through.

The biggest issue with the X is the factory tires. They are okay for light off road work, such as the beach or semi-prepared trails. However, they are poor on soft ground, and useless in mud. Take any Wrangler out with the wrong tires and you can get stuck.

Then, there's driver technique and experience. I have a friend who lives in Salt Lake City. He ventures out to Moab on a regular basis with his TJ Rubi and lately with his wife's 2009 X. Her X has a budget boost (2.5") and 33s. They've run Porcupine Rim and Flat Iron Mesa in it without any trouble whatsoever. He's a very experienced off-roader. A novice would likely run into some difficulty on these 5 rated trails.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 02-07-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

put some coin and wrench time into your X and its all good
Old 02-13-2010, 10:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepin Dad
I am very happy with my X and have not regretted not spending the money on a Rubi. I got my X with the Rubicon rear axel option, 32 spline and elctric rear locker, and the front electric swaybar disconnect and couldn't be happier. .
I have this setup as well and I couldn't be happier. I do plan to upgrade the open front axle with some of those new fangled ball and socket axle shafts and a locker which, according to my research, should make for a stronger but less expensive setup than a Rubi. I also plan on upgrading to an Atlas II and I had that in mind when I opted for the X over the Rubi. I hear that the Rubi roc-trac 4.1:1 xfer case is great on rock but poor on mud and sand whereas the Atlas II has many options for different terrain. Don't forget a lot of you (us) out there decided based on the monthly payment.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alt_phil
YES. I regret not getting a rubi.

I've put in lockers, but they aren't as good as rubicon lockers. I have a manual swaybar disconnect, but wish I had the electronic one..
Keep in mind that my FSB disco breaks down a lot! Once I am outta' warranty, I'm gonna' be pissed with this thing. More gadgets equals more crap. Don't feel too bad.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:54 PM
JK Freak

Tj and JK rubis big difference
Old 02-15-2010, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Went with the X since I knew everything was going to be changed anyway. Why pay for all the extras when you are just going to throw them away eventually?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

no need for a Rubi. I have a 2010 Sport and so far have built it the way I wanted it. I dont need the extra fluffy stuff.

I can still go where a Rubi can..
Old 05-02-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Waiting
I'm not sure how this exactly applies here, but anyway here it goes.
I'm getting a JK soon. I, by no means, need a Rubi.
I can't find any Sports with the options I want and may likely have to order one with the stuff I want. I won't get any deals on an ordered Jeep. I have found some Rubis optioned with what I want. If I can get a Rubi optioned like want for something like, $1K-$2K more than an ordered Sport, I might do it. (BTW, I don't prefer the Sahara trim). Would this be a wise decision?
JMO you should look at Carmax website they do have some deals even thought you might have to drive a few miles to one. they are about 2K less than any dealer around here in ATL. and you dont waste your time having a pissing contest with the sales weasel just my 0.2

its where I bought my 2010 last September.. no regrets..
Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Ehh

Its your decision man. I personally dont have an X, I have a Sahara but its still not a Rubi and I love every minute of her!! I like the fact that I am building my rig as I see fit, and as I need. It dosent matter how many mods you have or not, the Jeep JK Wrangler is an extremely capable vehicle. Rubicons are awesome, but honestly, all they have that I would want is lockers and thats it. At the end of the day it is a Jeep, and we ALL love Jeeps here. Buy an X and if you wanna throw some mods in it there are plenty of guys and gals on here to help you out, and raz you for being a noob...just like me.

Quick Reply: Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?