Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like so many others this was kind of a concern, but coming to terms with what i want on my jeep, all the selling points of the rubicon become things that will be taken off down the road anyway
Old 01-01-2010, 10:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I did not go with the Rubi only because I new I was going to go from 35" tires to 40" tires and did not see the need to spend the extra money. So far, I am very happy with my X.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

For me it was a rubicon. I thought about the X but thought the upgrades on the rubi were better for me (tires, lockers, 4:1, D44s, e-disco swaybar). Plus, I got it for what most dealers in my area were asking for the X model plus it has dual tops. Also i wanted power windows and locks. I had driven too many years with crank windows and I hate reaching across the passenger seat just to roll down my window. I got the rubi because I know that all I have to add is a 2.5" lift, 35s, bumper and winch to have my Jeep the way i want. it's a 6 speed so no regearing, yet. For now though, I have an extremely capable Jeep and after I add the stuff mentioned I'll just be able to go over bigger rocks!

The only way you can go wrong with this decision is to never take your X or rubicon off road.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Interesting tread. I bought 07 Rubicon with 19000miles on it because I didn't want to spend too much and if I take it off road and scratch it, I will not be messing a new jeep...I wanted a Wrangler for a very long time and after 1o years of driving Land Rover and Touareg, I bought the Rubicon because I didn't want to regret not getting the best available.

I don't want to spend so much on mods so for Easy to Moderate off road trip..I think I will be happy with my Rubicon
Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

I drive with my jeep ALOT, i love to think that I will take it weeling alot, but it hasent happened. so as of now, no I don't regret it.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

the only reason i wanted a rubicon was for the locking diffs. it would have been nice to have but no i don't regret choosing my x over a rubicon.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

I just got my 2009 2DR X about 4 months ago. I really never thought about getting a Rubi until I saw this thread. Im very happy with my X. Its the first brand New Jeep I ever bought and I have modified most of it anyways. The lockers and d44 front would have been nice but I can always put one in if I need to. Got a killer deal on mine and it was the only one with Half Doors on the lot. Actually only one I ever saw, i didnt know they still made them with Half doors. Actually that was the only reason I wanted this one, it was just perfect
Old 01-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Bub
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I am looking very hard at selling my Suzuki Samurai and purchasing a new Jeep Wrangler. My ego wants me to buy a Rubicon but my wallet is leaning towards the X which would still be a huge improvement over the Suzuki.

So did anyone "settle" for an X instead of a Rubicon and then later wish you had waited and saved a bit more?
Just trust me on this. Get the X and put the word RIBUCON on the hood but leave the X on the sides. That's what I did. Then you get the best of both worlds and the X will go anywhere you want it to, anyway. Chicks will follow you around like the pie eyed piper too, so get lots of this --->
Old 01-12-2010, 07:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bub
Just trust me on this. Get the X and put the word RIBUCON on the hood but leave the X on the sides. That's what I did. Then you get the best of both worlds and the X will go anywhere you want it to, anyway. Chicks will follow you around like the pie eyed piper too, so get lots of this --->
seriously

I had an X, it was totalled and I bought a used rubicon with 6,000 miles for way less than a new X.

its the best thing that ever happened. 4:1, lockers, sway disconnect is great.

Of course if your crawling the mall for women, i guess an X will work too
Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pigina: "I had an X, it was totalled and I bought a used rubicon with 6,000 miles for way less than a new X."

Yes, but you lost out on the lifetime warranty by buying used.

And, I'm glad I bought the x rather than the Rubicon for many reasons:
1) I'd rather have a manual disco based on all the complaints of the Rubi disco of read on this board
2) Rubi owners seem to tend to mod, meaning their Rubi's weren't up to par to begin with so why not start with an x and go from there?
3) You can buy Rubi owners' used stuff when they mod.
4) It takes very little upgrades to make an x as offroad worthy as a rubi when you factor in the skills of your typical casual offroader. Usually a lift is all you need. Of course it's different if you're talking about a serious offroader, but they've usually modded their Rubi's so what does that say about the Rubi?

Quick Reply: Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?