Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

Old 12-25-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an X with factory installed electronic locker and sway bar disconnects. It even came with the Rubicon lift wheels and tires.

The only difference between the two was mine came with 3.73's as opposed to the Rubi with 4.11's, and mine didnt have the rock rails. Oh, and about a 6 thousand dollars savings.

The only regret I have is when people as if I bought a Rubicon I cant say yes.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am now debating the X vs Rubi issue and found this thread very interesting but it's getting kinda stale.....so....BUMP
Old 12-26-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my X, but I only got it because I couldn't afford a Rubicon. If money wasn't an issue I wouldn't have purchased an X.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:26 PM
JK Freak

Well at the moment there were no Rubicons available, plus personally I like the look of sahara and its options, for the way i wanted my rubicon it would have been about 35K. Plus I had no choice or couldnt wait since I had already been without a vehicle for over a month since I was buying a Jeep because my original truck had been stolen :(
Old 12-27-2009, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

In the 1.5+ years this thread has been going you get about the same answers. I will add my two cents / opinion again... because I had the same questions... If money wasn't an issue and you didn't plan on immediate modifications that would make the extra money a waste, why not get a Rubicon? I went with the X mainly because it was in my budget and partly because it was hard to find any Rubicons on the lot in early 2007. Would I rather have had the lower gears, disconnects, lockers, sliders, etc? Yes. They would all be nice-to-haves for me - unfortunately, I don't get out on the trail much. But when I do I admit I wish I had those things - and it is unlikely I can be in a position to spend the extra cash on such upgrades. So if I could have purchased them upfront it would be nice. But don't think you will regret your jeep purchase - I don't. In some cases, it's a matter of just wanting the next best thing - bigger engine, bigger tires, etc. I remind myself that before I finally got to purchasing a Jeep I used to see any jeep - from the most basic, to a beater, to the most built - and say I would take anything to have a Jeep. Then I found myself wishing for this and that - it's about having a jeep and not about being in competition with others. Just my feeling on the subject...
Old 12-27-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't been around any rubicons, so I dont even know what I could be missing, except a bigger jeep payment every month, Very happy with my x
Old 12-27-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camaroguy
I bought an X with factory installed electronic locker and sway bar disconnects. It even came with the Rubicon lift wheels and tires.

The only difference between the two was mine came with 3.73's as opposed to the Rubi with 4.11's, and mine didnt have the rock rails. Oh, and about a 6 thousand dollars savings.

The only regret I have is when people as if I bought a Rubicon I cant say yes.
4:1 t-case, front locker and dana 44 as well. Any pictures of this "X with sway disconnect"? First I've heard of it, just curious to see the button setup and such.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Detn8RYellow
No Regret's, Didn't feel I needed a Rubicon, I love trail riding, but: not into the serious mudding or rocking.. So at this point I am happy.. but; time will tell
yup....same here...
Old 12-27-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
4:1 t-case, front locker and dana 44 as well. Any pictures of this "X with sway disconnect"? First I've heard of it, just curious to see the button setup and such.
It has the Dana 44, but I am not sure about the transfer case. The locker is also only for the rear. The button set up is the same. I tried to take a photo of my window sticker but you cant really read it. The pic of the controls isnt great, but here it goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1227091646.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	34546

It is also an 09 which is Surf Blue. Which wasnt available in 09.

Last edited by camaroguy; 12-27-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
yup....same here...

+1

I actually didn't know the difference between the versions, and bought the X because I could afford it (doubt I could've afforded the Rubicon). Although I'm sure it's nice to have the locking differential, I doubt that I will ever need it. My X is my daily driver as well as my offroad sightseeing vehicle. I don't intend to use it for serious offroading, but rather driving the scenic offroad trails of Colorado.

Quick Reply: Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?