Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My X has done everything my buddies Rubicon can do. So no regrets. Even in the future, if this jeep ever dies, my new Jeep will also be the standard model and I will just upgrade it with what I want on it and in it.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mariner
I got the X and love it, would have got the rubi if it were available without all the electric goodies, I get my daily work out winding the windows up and down. No regrets. Hope they come out with a base rubi.
You don't have to get a Rubi with the power group(at least you didn't in '07). My unlimited had it but only because I ordered it. I didn't at first and actually went back and added it later. I wouldn't have done that if it were a two door but is hard to roll down rear windows while driving.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Love my Jeep. I bought the X and over time has changed into a whole other beast. I have done stuff that some Rubicons couldn't do. Even with the 35 up front. Eventually I will upgrade the axle. I prefer the X because it is more personalized. I would never waste money on a Rubicon. I have done every mod on my Jeep except for the exhaust. It gives you a sense of accomplishment that buying a Rubicon will rob you of. It is addicting. Hope you buy the X and start turning wrenches soon.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my second X. Very happy with it and lockers are great! Mine cost $300.00 for the front. Aussie Will put the same in this one.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

I got such a great deal on my X S package I would be an idiot regretting it. The only thing I wish it had was at least 3.73 gears. The great thing is I could buy brand new front and rear 4.10 RUBI axle assemblies from Chrysler and still be almost $5K cheaper than a Rubicon would have been. I already installed a new take-off E-Disco for $350 ...

The downside to a modified X is that factory Rubi's have full Factory warranties ....
Old 08-27-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi

Sure the Rubi would have been nice, but I don't regret not getting one. Most all my time is on the pavement.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
I got such a great deal on my X S package I would be an idiot regretting it. The only thing I wish it had was at least 3.73 gears. The great thing is I could buy brand new front and rear 4.10 RUBI axle assemblies from Chrysler and still be almost $5K cheaper than a Rubicon would have been. I already installed a new take-off E-Disco for $350 ...

The downside to a modified X is that factory Rubi's have full Factory warranties ....
don't forget the 4:1 transfer case. That's the most expensive and most important part.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
i am looking very hard at selling my suzuki samurai and purchasing a new jeep wrangler. My ego wants me to buy a rubicon but my wallet is leaning towards the x which would still be a huge improvement over the suzuki.

So did anyone "settle" for an x instead of a rubicon and then later wish you had waited and saved a bit more?
with the monet you save on the "x" you should be able to build one better than the rubi as long as you can do the work by your self
Old 08-28-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
don't forget the 4:1 transfer case. That's the most expensive and most important part.
An X with 4.10 gears gives a 50:1 Crawl ratio ... definitely not as nice as a 73:1 in the Rubicon but not too bad either.

The stock 3.21 Gears in an X give a 39:1 Crawl Ratio and and X with 3.73 Gears give a 45:1 Crawl Ratio ...

I really don't think the 4:1 T-case is the MOST important part of the package. Somebody was just selling a Rubi T-case on here for $800 ...
Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love my X because I am building it up the way I want. Don't get me wrong the lockers would have been nice and so would the front axle.

Quick Reply: Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?