Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my X. It's the perfect combination of off-road and daily driving. Most of my off-roading deals with getting to campsites and backpacking trailheads and it's nothing that the X can't handle.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After two years of owning an X and seeing how many Rubi owners have had trouble with the lockers, ain't no way I regret gettin mine. Even after an engine replacement.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCJeeper
Of course I wanted a Rubicon, really, who wouldn't? They just charge a friggin ungodly amount of money for what is basically a pretty simple vehicle.

I got an X cause it's the most i could spend. Over time I've been turning it into the Rubicon that i really wanted. About the only thing missing now is the 4:1 t-case. That's gonna be tough to justify tho.
With 5.13s, you hardly need to sweat a 4:1 t-case. I, like you, have put together the "Rubicon" I really wanted and I wouldn't have had the discretionary cash lying around had I chosen the Rubi to begin with.

Jeeps are built, not bought.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got a 08X but I wish I would get a Rubi. However, my X, with some non-crazy modification, actually did pretty well on trails and it never let me down.

If I have one more chance, i would get a Rubi, but for now, I am still happy with my X
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Omaha
With 5.13s, you hardly need to sweat a 4:1 t-case. I, like you, have put together the "Rubicon" I really wanted and I wouldn't have had the discretionary cash lying around had I chosen the Rubi to begin with.

Jeeps are built, not bought.

Without a doubt, 5.13 get you back in the crawl ratio game (and it's gotten me through a long, slippery, rocky, steep uphill that I know my 4.10s wouldn'd of), but I can't help wondering how much better it'd be with 5.13s + a 4:1 t-case. Rubicon owners insert gloating here : :
Old 08-26-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I am looking very hard at selling my Suzuki Samurai and purchasing a new Jeep Wrangler. My ego wants me to buy a Rubicon but my wallet is leaning towards the X which would still be a huge improvement over the Suzuki.

So did anyone "settle" for an X instead of a Rubicon and then later wish you had waited and saved a bit more?
My current delima.

EDIT: Was my current delima. I'll have a Rubicon tomorrow!

Last edited by BLKRUBI; 08-27-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Splash
No regrets. I bought a blank slate. It's ready to be upgraded as the wallet allows. Until then, it meets my needs just fine.
I'm pretty much with him. Sure you can go for a Rubi and get 32" tires right away and lockers, and electronic sway bar disco, but its way more fun to build it the way you like it. Most Rubi owners just sell off the tires/rims anyways. I would love a Rubi, but I have no regrets at all for getting an X.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

I wish I had gotten the Rubicon to begin with.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the X and love it, would have got the rubi if it were available without all the electric goodies, I get my daily work out winding the windows up and down. No regrets. Hope they come out with a base rubi.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Strange question; my answer is it depends more on what you plan to do with it. I have driven a complete stock Jeep in places most cannot walk through. A Rubicon is overkill for most things I do so I am very happy with my "X". Some go on more severe trails so a Rubicon may be more appropriate.

Quick Reply: Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?