Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't regret it, I just plan on building mine better than a Rubicon..
Old 07-11-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

I had a lifted X. Now have a stock Rubi. The BSLD was very effective. The lockers give you better control and the ultra low transfer case is great in the rocks.

If the X still had 4.10 gearing, I would have bought an X with rear locker and the e-disco. Since no 4.10, no X for me.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

You can just about have it both ways. My first Jeep was a '99 TJ which I had built into a rock crawler - a Rubicon before the Rubicon was introduced. Harsh ride, bad mileage, but a go anywhere Jeep. In December, I traded it in on a 2008 "X" Unlimited with the 24S package which adds the Rubicon HD suspension, 17" wheels/tires and a bunch of other Rubicon dodads. I also got the D44 with locking rear differential and the electronic swar bar disconnects. This version also has an auto tranny with a 3.73 gear ratio and a D30 front axle with NO locker. My "X" is a good daily driver and gets a solid 19.5 mpg. Up to 22 mpg on the highway if you stay under 65. This "X" is also a good trail runner and will meet the average person's off road needs. Rock Crawling is another story. The "X" has a crawl ratio of 38.9 to1. The Rubicon has a crawl ratio of 73.1 to 1. (My TJ had a crawl ratio of 80 to 1) I guess it all boils down to this. If you are young, have lots of money and your balls are bigger than your brains - get the Rubicon. Or, if rock crawling really appeals to you - get the Rubicon. What you don't want to do is buy a "X" then decide you really wanted a rock crawler and spend $10,000 to $15,000 turning it into a Rubicon.
If your Jeep will be your daily driver - a slighty built "X" is probably your best bet.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I could have easily bought a Rubi for the MSRP of my Unlimited X. There was not one for me to get at that time. I have no regrets as I have not been on any trail where I was limited by traction or lockers as of yet. For what it's worth, I do have the rear locker.

Last edited by RocksHurt; 07-11-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I am looking very hard at selling my Suzuki Samurai and purchasing a new Jeep Wrangler. My ego wants me to buy a Rubicon but my wallet is leaning towards the X which would still be a huge improvement over the Suzuki.

So did anyone "settle" for an X instead of a Rubicon and then later wish you had waited and saved a bit more?
For me the only extra things the rubi were the stock lockers and the swaybar disc. I would like to have the lockers but for an extra 10grand I think not. I'll install lockers myself for alot cheaper. I'm happy I got my stock x. I don't need power anthing or heated seats. All that shit is extra crap I don't need. I like my jeep basic.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepcanoe
For me the only extra things the rubi were the stock lockers and the swaybar disc. I would like to have the lockers but for an extra 10grand I think not. I'll install lockers myself for alot cheaper. I'm happy I got my stock x. I don't need power anthing or heated seats. All that shit is extra crap I don't need. I like my jeep basic.
Amen to that . . . Agree 100%.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow, bringing back the dead thread. You know I know I bought more Jeep then I need with my Rubicon and 35's and all that is "just empty every pocket" stuff. But I know that I will end up back in Colorado someday and I will want it then. Also when I look down at my console and see the locker and sway bar disconnects switches I get a big grin on my face.

I think for most including myself an X model with the rear locker and sway bar disco would be plenty.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldnt trade my X for a Rubi! It depends on the degree of off roading you do...mine is fairly light, consists of mostly mudholes and small hills, I work with a state park collecting data on wildlife there and the trails are pretty tight so the X fits nicely down them...I like watching other ppl do the crazy stuff while I sit back and enjoy
Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepcanoe
What about the 4:1 transfer case? That is pretty pricey too.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
What about the 4:1 transfer case? That is pretty pricey too.
And you don't have to get the power locks/windows/upgrade stereo stuff on a rubi either, if only you could get vinyl seats! I wouldn't think that the 4:1 transfer case is one of the things that adds significantly to the cost as it is only different gearing that separate it from the x's and saharas.

But damn, why are we forced to pay so much for the electric disco without a choice if we get a rubi, or even just a locker on an X? I would rather have two wrenches and 5 minutes at the beginning and ending of the trail!

Quick Reply: Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?