Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

I am looking very hard at selling my Suzuki Samurai and purchasing a new Jeep Wrangler. My ego wants me to buy a Rubicon but my wallet is leaning towards the X which would still be a huge improvement over the Suzuki.

So did anyone "settle" for an X instead of a Rubicon and then later wish you had waited and saved a bit more?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 PM
JK Freak

I got X and i'm happy with it. It does amazing things off-road. Of course Rubi would be better but hey... I guess it depends what you wanna do with it.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

I bought an unlimited X in Jan 07. At the time I did not think I would need anything more as it was daily driver. After going on offroad excursions with friends a family I began to see the need for better tires and locking differentials. I began to go offroad a lot more than I ever thought I would. I started upgrading things but quickly realized that I should have went with the Rubicion as I would spend just as much money making the X comparable. So in Jan 08 I traded my X in on a new rubicon. The offroad capability is everything i expected and gets around much better on the rocks and in the mud. I get 4 mpg less and it is not as comfortable on the highway as the X was but its all good since I am offroad a lot more now. If you go offroad very little then getting a Rubicon would be a step down instead of a step up from an X in my opinion. It all boils down to how you plan to use it........Wipeout
Old 03-15-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Nope I love my X.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:58 PM
JK Freak

I'm very satisfied with my X. I knew mine was going to be a daily driver and that I wasn't going to get crazy with it in the off road arena because I can't afford to have it broken and not be able to go to work becuase I was horsing around on my off days. Regardless of that, I'm going to get better tires for those times that I do off road. In addition, having started with a base model affords me the opportunity to go a lot of different directions from a mod standoing. So no I don't regret my X the least bit.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't regret it a bit. I love my X. While the electronic lockers would be nice, I have lsd in the back and I'll throw an aussie in the front and be happy with it. I would have ditched the Rubi wheels and tires like I did with the ones on my X. There are plenty of other differences as well, but most of those just don't add up to me, but everyone is different.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

It is good to hear there are very few regrets. My Sami has slightly larger tires but open diffs. I have never been stuck in it, not because I am an awesome driver or it is so capable in stock form but because my wheeling is pretty mild and I can not afford to trash my vehicle. I think the X would be way better than the Sami and if I am going to put $$$ into upgrades I would much rather do it to a newer vehicle. Overall I want a pretty basic vehicle to bang around in...manual transmission, vinyl seats, soft top only, no carpeting, usually no doors.... I like simple and based on what I am hearing the X will probably suit my needs better than the Rubicon.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

No regrets. I bought a blank slate. It's ready to be upgraded as the wallet allows. Until then, it meets my needs just fine.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with the x. If you get some lockers and decent tires you can do 99% of what a rubi could do.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my X. I am not a hardcore wheeler and could not justify the extra $$. If I need lockers I will put them in later. The BLD and LS work wonders.

Quick Reply: Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?