Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any tips on breaking RTV seal?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips on breaking RTV seal?

I'm in the process of trying to break the RTV seal on an oil pan (see this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...01#post1754501). The OEM oil pan was easy since I was able to slightly bend the pan lip and get a screwdriver under it, and then pry it off... The Benchmark Designs oil pan however is rock hard (although it has a hole in it - see link above) and I can't get any type of wedge between the engine and the pan in order to pry the pan off. I used Permatex "The Right Stuff" to create the seal in the first place.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tap the cover with a hammer
Old 07-05-2010, 01:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stick a block of wood between the pan and hammer if tapping doesn't work and hit the mofo
Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hehe, thx, all... so the funny thing is that i did all the things mentioned above (though I don't have a lift and i can't take quite the baseball swing...), but by the time i came back inside the oil pan (the BD pan is heavy as hell) separated by itself, enough that I was able to stick a screwdriver in there and pry the rest off! I guess rtv forms quite a suction bond, but if you apply slow steady pressure to one side (the oil pan is slightly heavier on one side), eventually it releases!

Quick Reply: Any tips on breaking RTV seal?