Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any highway drivers?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noproblem for the commute, but I recommend larger tires for better miles and smoother ride. I had an 07X with 225 75R16s and traded for an 09X with 255 75R17s. I traded the new tires in for Goodyear Silent Armor. I get 3-4 mpg better and everyone in my family that drives the jeep says how much better it drives than the old one.

By the way, although i hate cats, a jeep is not a car.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We drive into NYC pretty regularly, good 45 - 55 minute drive one way. We drove out to RC and back this sunday too, 2.5 hours each way. I have the soft top.

Compared to my last Jeep, a 97 TJ hard top, it was very quiet. Over 65mph you start to hear a bit of noise from around the header and some subtle whistling if you really pay attention and have the radio off, but it's not terrible. At 80mph it's pretty loud though, either way... I noticed I was turning the radio down when we got into traffic or especially when stopped for something as it was suddenly very loud because I had cranked it a bit driving to compensate for the noise. My wife said she thought it was loud on our wheeling trip, but not when going into NYC (shorter trip, bit lower speed on average).

Below 65mph it's surprisingly quiet. In town you can hold a perfectly normal conversation without raising your voice... on the hwy under 75 or so you can chat even with the radio, but above that you will raise your voice a little.

As for handling... no qualms or issues at all. Smooth handling, acceptable power (maybe I have a freak, but up to 80 or so it's been fine for me, quick even... I can chirp my tires from a start). Good for sudden lane changes, no real sway or shimmy, sure footed and just easy to drive even over rough/broken pavement... very well mannered and even civil, especially compared to older jeeps. My only complaint are the somewhat anemic brakes... they work and are safe, but I would like a bit more grab and shorter stopping distances.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Ha Ha GNNR my jeep is the exact oppisite on the road. I seem to have to will my jeep to pass anything on the road, but if I step on the brakes I could probably put someone through the windshield.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

More and More I keep thinking I have a factory freak. *knock on wood*

No leaks in the top
Decent power
Decent mileage

WTF is going on... i should be whining about how slow and leaky my JK is!!!

The Jeepster isn't going to win any drag races, but if i can actually chirp the tires from a start even after nearly 1K miles, get 21mpg if I keep it under 80, and all I can complain about is the brakes not being amazing... well, so far so good I guess.

I traded in a Lancer GTS. Not a super amazing race car, but peppy. My JK is 'peppy-er'.

Quick Reply: Any highway drivers?