Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any highway drivers?

Old 03-23-2009, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any highway drivers?

Hey all,

I am considering a JK for my only car, and I have a 60 mile a day highway commute. I am wondering how it handles at 70mph, how loud, how comfortable is it stock? Much difference between the 2 and 4 door? How about vs. the TJ?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

I use my 4 door as my daily commuter, 60 miles round trip. Mine handles pretty well at 70, even though it is loud, you can just turn the radio up louder. ;-) I get around 17 mpg in my 08 so it is a gas hog. IMO I think it is a pretty comfortable ride, and especially nice ride when the weather is great and you can take the top down.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Mine is my dd and I have about 60 mile commute. Just put a 2.5 lift with 33 mud grapplers on it with no complaints from me. Some people may think it's not a good commuter. I like how loud it is
Old 03-23-2009, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

The JK is definitely a more comfortable and quieter ride than the TJ, stock anyway. In my old jeep I couldn't hold a decent phone conversation on the interstate, so I invested in some speakers and made the best of a long commute. The JK is a different story and I wouldn't say its any louder than your average convertible car. As far as ride, its not a cadillac, its an offroad suspension but still pretty comfortable on-road. Any discomfort you may have will be more than made up for the first time you go topless.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My commute is 120 miles a day of all highway. The Jk is not usually my main commuting vehicle, but I have driven it every day for the past month. I think the it does just fine on the highway. Its certainly more quiet and civilized than the '97 Isuzu Rodeo it replaced. I put it in 6th gear and tap on the cruise control about 70mph. It puts the RPMs at about 2100-2200 and has been getting me 20.5-22 mpg. (this is a base X model with 225 tires and 3.21 gearing)
Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Thats very encouraging to hear! I used to drive a Miata, it was pretty darn noisy, but having the top down was great!

I am thinking of selling my current car, and my motorcycle and going whole hog into the JK thing. I am still trying to decide on 2 vs. 4 door.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigcanoe
Thats very encouraging to hear! I used to drive a Miata, it was pretty darn noisy, but having the top down was great!

I am thinking of selling my current car, and my motorcycle and going whole hog into the JK thing. I am still trying to decide on 2 vs. 4 door.

I just sold my Miata as well and I can tell you that the Jeep is just as loud as the Miata with the top down. But the top down experience is just as good!!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

My other car is a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, so I am used to a rough ride. I just dont like being blown all over the road (see my motorcycle for an example of that).
Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 45 miles daily commute and I drive my JK daily. I get beat up with head winds, but I have 35's with stock gearing...and shouldn't be as much an issue once I re-gear.

As far as noise, I have the soft top and it is the quietest vehicle I own. My GF traded her Liberty in for her JK soft top and it's quieter with less wind noise than the Liberty...which was surprising.

I say go for it.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's fine on the hwy, but you will definitely feel it when it gets windy.

Quick Reply: Any highway drivers?