Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any former truck owners?

Old 10-25-2008, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

absolutly love my jeep, no regrets. I mostly drove alone in my truck and now in my jeep. so the seating room isn't an issue. The only thing is really different is the towing.
oh it was a DODGE RAM, DUELLY, 24 VALVE CUMMINS TURDO DEISEL, KING CAB, LONG BED, LARAMI, SLT, SPORT, 4X4, WITH A 5TH WHEEL.

so towing boats and the other trailers are definetly different now, plus we have trailers I can't even pull. goose neck horse trailer and the 5th wheel camper.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had a 2003 Chevy S10 ZR2 4.3L

I love my JK, the chevy was a little peppier on the highway, but gas mileage was worse, and the back end was so light, i had to weigh it down in the winter. I didnt use the bed much and its easier to drive around wth 4 people now since the truck only held 3.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I traded a Ranger for the JK. I had an S-10 before that. They were both 4x4s.
I only rarely used the cargo bed of the Ranger or the S-10. That pattern hasn't changed, but like most things, you don't miss it till you don't have it.

My occasional need for some cargo space won't justify buying a trailer and fitting the JK with a hitch. It's just something I'm learning to live without.

I can still stuff my lawnmower, for example, in the back of the JK when I need to. I pull the carpet and the rear seat. I'm thinking about bedlining the cargo space, too.

The only other adjustment has been coming to grips with the lack of security afforded by a soft top. This is my first soft top.

Otherwise, I've never looked back.

You've just got to weigh what you regularly use the pickup for against what you'll regularly be using the JK for. Then make your decision.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had an Dodge 05 QC PowerWagon. Loved the truck. Hated the lockers and front sway disco. Both had lots of problems. I large part of why I did not go with a Rubi. I want full time lockers such as a Detroit in the rear and probably an OX in the front. There just were no aftermarket replacement lockers for the Dodge AAM axles.
So, Last Oct I sold the PW outright for a little more than $30K. Bought a 4dr JK with the 24S package. I then bought a used 01 standard cab 2wd 3/4 T Chevy w/ about 140K mi. Only paid $4200. I need the truck to pull my 7500lb travel trailer. Now I have both for roughly the same price as I sold the PW. 2WD 3/4T standard cab gas engine trucks are dirt cheap with today's gas prices
BTW - The Chevy is currently stuck in the mud, where I park it, behind my house. When wife gets back from shopping I'm going to have to get out the yank strap
Old 10-25-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had always been a truck guy, then I bought a used '89 YJ a few years ago as a toy and found that the Dakota just sat around because the Jeep was so much more fun. When the YJ started having some engine problems I decide it wasn't worth putting the money into it and sold both the Dakota and the YJ to get the JK, this is the 1st time I have ever been without a truck and I have not regretted it once.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My favorite truck was my old '77 GMC shortbed 4WD with special order 400ci V-8, 4-speed, 4.56 gears, 5" lift on 33" mud tires. I wheeled that truck like an idiot, hills, mud, trails, railroad tracks, the concrete at the industrial park (!!), the dragstrip (!!!).
It would still be in the Ogeeche river mud if it wasn't for a guy ("how'd you get it that deep in the mud?") with a 304 CJ and winch back in the late 70's. That was my first Jeep experience. I did replace the front differential & axles after destroying them on some rocks one time, but it was mostly bullet proof and always made it back home.

I also had a 85 Dodge Ramcharger 4WD, also lifted on 33's (188K miles and walked once with a dead battery).

Then a 1990 GMC shortbed stepside 4WD (208K and never walked although I did have to beat the starter with a hammer a couple of times) and most recently my mild lift 1999 Z-71 GMC ex-cab (130K, walked once with a dead fuel pump) which has been seized by my girlfriend.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a 02 Dodge 2500 with a 24vCummins and the 6spd. Did some injector work to it and a mild module (edge ez). While I do miss the put you back in your seat power, thats about it. I was constantly fixing stuff on it. I spent more replacing worn out stuff on it then I did on the fun stuff, and it only had 84,000 miles on it when I traded it in. I lost my butt on it cause I traded it in, but I was coming up on the point where it needed a clutch, and I was gonna upgrade to a twin disc right away, so I was looking at almost $2100 just in parts alone, not to mention the fact that over the summer, the value of pickups was dropping like a rock, so I acted fast and traded the truck in instead of trying to sell it.

In the end, I do regret not trying to sell the truck myself, but I don't regret the JK one bit. After getting rid of my TJ, I missed having a jeep so bad. Its nice paying less for gas than diesel for a change too. I think the only way I would drive something other than a Jeep again, is if Ford came out with a new version of the original 1st gen. Bronco's.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DownSouth4x4
I'm about to make the jump from the truck world to the jeep world, specifically the JK world. I've had a tough time motivating myself to make this jump and I just wanted to get the opinions from some former truck owners. What do you like about your JK and what (if anything) do you miss about owning a truck.
I did it, and I LOVE it. I had a 2004 F250 Crew cab Powerstroke. I love how I can whip my Jeep around on a dime now, and it's even the Unlimited.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I traded in a 06 Dodge QC 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel.

Miss the size, power, bed, and the looks of it leveled and on 35's.

But I love my Jeep. Luckily the wife decided we needed a truck so we picked up an 08 dodge 1500 mega cab 4x4 larimie. More room, not as much power but a way cool truck. All the bells ad whistles. The best part was we got it for 28,500 when it stickered for 48,800!!!!!!!

Buyers market.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had pickups my whole life, best thing was going over to the jeep

Quick Reply: Any former truck owners?