Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

any firefighter JK mods

Old 01-29-2013, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about emergency lighting, whats everybody running? was thinking about gettin a slimlighter....
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

I think this will do

Click image for larger version

Name:	507large+1964_jeep_cj3b+side_view.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	416060
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

mount your axe and shovel

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449_sized.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	416159

Last edited by scratchkenny; 01-30-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My personal thoughts...worth maybe $0.02...

Your rig is your POV (personally owned vehicle). There's two methods of thought when it comes to a Firefighter's POV, and I know there's a huge amount of pride and ego in being a Firefighter.

1) Go balls out and let everyone know what you do for a living/sport/hobby, and have your every move on the road be judged in the worth of taxpayer dollars and reflective of your department. You are instantly recognizable and memorable. Here you push the limits of your state's non EV lighting laws with strobes, red lights that strobe forward, etc. It's more for show unless your state allows for POV's to be equipped with emergency flashers, etc if you are a volunteer responder responding in a POV.

2) Go for the stealth-mode, highly-equipped POV that looks like a civilian rig on the outside.

Option 1 is do-able if you're a perfect driver or have the personality to back up being seen and silently (or verbally) judged everywhere. Option 2 is great if you want to be judged like a civilian when you are...a firefighter in civilian clothing, off the clock.

Option 2... IMHO Firefighter POV's have all the necessary gear to take control of a scene if you're first-on, and stuff to handle basic first aid for patients while the guys on the clock are en-route with the professional fire rigs. Maybe you've got a hooligan mounted in the back and a fire extinguisher. This isn't really a mod so much as it is a big bag in the back of your rig and a radio setup. The bag would contain stuff like flares or portable flashers, reflective vests, a well stocked first-aid kit, some basic crash stuff in the console like PPE goggles, gloves, flashlight. --All of this because, sometimes the guys on the clock are busy or have a drive ahead of them in order to arrive on scene. You can use your offroad lighting for basic scene lighting, and maybe you've got some strobes, but it's really more for marking the scene and being cautionary than it is for responding.

If you can't tell by now, I always preferred stealth mode. There will be times when your ego will get the best of you or you'll accidentally goof in traffic and the last thing you want is some guy going "god d*** those a**hole firefighters, who the f*** do they think they are??!?" -because not everyone thinks FF's are as cool as we do.

Again, that's just my $0.02...I love both kind of rigs, but if I have to drive and own one, I'm going with Option 2.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search for Burnsville Offroad's JK-8 Brush truck.

I'm too lazy to figure out how to post pics to this forum since they make it complicated.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by camaroguy
Convert the front seats into Lazyboy recliners, completely cover every square inch of it with "I'm a fireman" stickers, put a bunch of workout equipment in the back, build a barbeque grill you can pull behind it, get your Jeep in a calender, break it so it never works.......the list can go on and on.
hahaha!!!
maybe some decals "pump at 150, bake at 350"
or "my other ride is s recliner"

I'm a union ff too and can't imagine putting decals and license plates and all that all over my jeep. you see it all the time but I don't get it. last thing i want is to accidently cut someone off or some road rager calling the cops or my chief with my dept name and profession all over my jeep. you don't see many other professions with all that on their rides. sure it's a noble profession but all that seems to exploit it or be the results of an over eager probie or Ricky rescue volunteer.
the only fire stuff I've got in my jeep is a small trauma kit under the trunk and a small extinguisher. can't think of many reasons to carry an axe that I can't kick, punch or use stuff around me to break something with.

Last edited by Fugg it; 01-29-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ctremblay187
how about emergency lighting, whats everybody running? was thinking about gettin a slimlighter....

I have a Slimlighter. Works great with the jeeps flat windshield.

Quick Reply: any firefighter JK mods