Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any dealers here? Door Screws broken - should be coverd by warranty?

Old 06-10-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any dealers here? Door Screws broken - should be coverd by warranty?

I know many people who take doors off don't even bother putting the hex that attaches to the door screws.

I broke the pin on the other day as I was tightening the hex. I brought it to a dealer expecting that the warranty would cover this. The guy who helped (or did not help, I should say) said, it won't be coverd by warranty.

I told him that it should be covered as I can't find it on the warranty information that this piece is not covered and asked him to expect this screw to be broken so easily. (I am not proud to say this, but I am a skinny guy with no muscle)

Anyway, I was just curious if I was totally wrong on this? Shouldn't this be covered by warranty (i only had my JK for less than a year)? Or is Warranty pretty much worthless? I was just curious what everyone think.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KAT-the telling phrase to the dealer and Chrysler is your second line... I broke the pin while installing the bolt. The dealer nor Chrysler broke the bolt, therefor they will not cover it. I sympathise with you, but having worked at dealerships for 30 years I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on them to fix it, wether justified or not...
Old 06-10-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

I don't ever put the nuts on. They stay in a tool box drawer. It makes it quicker to take the doors on and off.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robar
I don't ever put the nuts on. They stay in a tool box drawer. It makes it quicker to take the doors on and off.
agreed. i believe mine are still in the glove box.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never really thought of not putting the nuts back on. Makes sense. I might leave them off till winter.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 PM
JK Junkie

Regardless of how they broke, they should not break under normal usage and therfore should be covered under warranty. I'd try a different dealer and phrase the story a little differently.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

same here...my nuts came off a long time ago. Wait, are we talking about doors or marriages?

Either way, the nuts are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

most dealers would warranty that, since what you did was normal use and even covered in the owners manual
Old 06-11-2008, 06:26 AM
JK Junkie

Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
same here...my nuts came off a long time ago. Wait, are we talking about doors or marriages?

Either way, the nuts are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Any dealers here? Door Screws broken - should be coverd by warranty?