Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another Wrangler or a WRX?

Old 07-15-2016, 06:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad draw
I just hit 61k on my 2012 JKUR with zero issues other than the trans cooler line recall, the heated mirror recall and the transmission software service bulletin.

As for a dd, I drive 56 miles round trip to the airport weekly. It's basically my weekend ride. But still, even with off tossing regularly in Colorado, no issues or complaints.

My Land Rover on the other hand??? About $29k in repairs with normal usage. LOL!!!!
Old 07-16-2016, 02:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are the cost differences for a new one?
Old 07-17-2016, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by warpeg
Hmm....I may be able to help. I own both a WRX STi and a JK. Bottom line = these two vehicles cannot be evaluated against each other easily; it's an apples vs oranges comparison. On one hand, I enjoy the JK's dominance in the mud and on the rocks, but a Subie just isn't designed for that kind of situation. The JK is a supreme all terrain vehicle, but the Subie is really just a fast rally machine. On the the other hand, the Subie is incredibly fast and responsive on the street and dirt roads, the JK is slow and a brick.

If I had to pick one and only one, then I would go JK. Why? No disrespect to my WRX, but the JK is just more fun, more versatile, and it's retained value percentage is higher.
I would be picking one vehicle for the time being. Thanks for your input! Not many people are an owner of both.

However, which one of these is your daily driver?

Originally Posted by tramp
what are the cost differences for a new one?
A stock Unlimited and a stock WRX are comparable in price, which is partly why my buddies recommended me to the subi
Old 07-17-2016, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default my Dad asked me the same question

He loves my wrx but also like the idea of a jeep (4dr). He test drove a Jeep and was quite impressed. Told me it drove much better than my lifted 2 dr.

However for him a strictly car owner, and long time Accord Coupe v6 owner, an 03, then an 09, I really didn't think he would be happy with the Jeep.

He picked up his wrx in April and is very happy with it. ( his Jeep would have been no fun as i don't think he would ever wheel it).

Go slow my friend.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bob987909
Has anyone else had this much trouble with their JK? Or did I really just get a bad draw?
I had a shitton of problems with my '12. TOB ate it at 2,500 miles. Transmission leaked. Window switches died. Rear main seal fell apart. Navigation system was a POS. Battery failed in less than 2 years. All of these problems happened well before my bumper-to-bumper warranty expired.

After that whole nightmare and the fact my '07 was an even bigger POS, I was hesitant to get another JK. I was pretty much done with Jeep, but a test drive in a '14 (which was also my very first automatic) pushed me to give it one last chance. The WA580 and the Pentastar really are a great pairing.

2 years and 30k miles later, I haven't had a single problem with my '14. It, so far, has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

You've definitely got a lemon there and those happen with any vehicle made by any manufacturer, but I'd give a '15 or a '16 a chance. When you build the same vehicle for a decade with few changes (granted the engine and tranny are significant), you tend to get things right towards the end of the run.

If you want a new Wrangler that, for the most part, is tried and true, I'd get a JK before the JL comes out. The JL will undoubtedly be a welcomed improvement to the Wrangler as a whole, but we all know that FCA can't release a new vehicle without it being a complete bug-ridden cluster**** with quality control issues for a couple years before starting to get things right.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Default Getting it RIGHT

Originally Posted by Spank
I had a shitton of problems with my '12. TOB ate it at 2,500 miles. Transmission leaked. Window switches died. Rear main seal fell apart. Navigation system was a POS. Battery failed in less than 2 years. All of these problems happened well before my bumper-to-bumper warranty expired.

After that whole nightmare and the fact my '07 was an even bigger POS, I was hesitant to get another JK. I was pretty much done with Jeep, but a test drive in a '14 (which was also my very first automatic) pushed me to give it one last chance. The WA580 and the Pentastar really are a great pairing.

2 years and 30k miles later, I haven't had a single problem with my '14. It, so far, has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

You've definitely got a lemon there and those happen with any vehicle made by any manufacturer, but I'd give a '15 or a '16 a chance. When you build the same vehicle for a decade with few changes (granted the engine and tranny are significant), you tend to get things right towards the end of the run.

If you want a new Wrangler that, for the most part, is tried and true, I'd get a JK before the JL comes out. The JL will undoubtedly be a welcomed improvement to the Wrangler as a whole, but we all know that FCA can't release a new vehicle without it being a complete bug-ridden cluster**** with quality control issues for a couple years before starting to get things right.
Are you kidding? The Wranglers that are being produced currently still have the BUGS! Chrysler Jeep knowingly produce these vehicles with defects. It costs them MONEY to fix defects. Unless it is a Safety Issue they get caught with. Its just a love of Jeeps that keep us or bring most of us back!
Old 07-17-2016, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saharaharry
Are you kidding? The Wranglers that are being produced currently still have the BUGS! Chrysler Jeep knowingly produce these vehicles with defects. It costs them MONEY to fix defects. Unless it is a Safety Issue they get caught with. Its just a love of Jeeps that keep us or bring most of us back!
Of course they're buggy. FCA (and Chrysler before them) will always be synonymous with poor quality and awful longevity. However, a '15 or '16 is going to be a billion times more refined than the earlier JKs.

Last edited by Spank; 07-17-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Spank
Of course they're buggy. FCA (and Chrysler before them) will always be synonymous with poor quality and awful longevity. However, a '15 or '16 is going to be a billion times more refined than the earlier JKs.
Hmm; I must be lucky. I have an early 09 with 100,000 miles with multiple trips back and forth from Moab and Ouray from TX. No issues except a bout with death wobble that was fixed with new ball joints. I have 37's and a 4 inch lift. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob987909
I would be picking one vehicle for the time being. Thanks for your input! Not many people are an owner of both. However, which one of these is your daily driver?
I got the Subie about a year before I got my current JK. Since I got the JK, the Subie only gets used as a family-toter on the highway. The JK, in my opinion, is far more fun and a better long-term investment. I should probably just sell the Subie.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for everyone's help!

I'm really thinking I did end up with bad luck on what I got. Whenever my claim goes through I'll pick up a '15 or '16 to replace my '14

Quick Reply: Another Wrangler or a WRX?