Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another unhappy dealer story....long vent

Old 07-19-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
This only happens shifting from 1st to 2nd, no other gear change is a problem. All the other changes are easy and smooth. My gripe is that Chrysler won't take it apart and fix the problem. I shouldn't expect to have to warm up my transmission with a light bulb on a $20,000+ new vehicle and have the manufacturer say the crappy shift is a characteristic of this transmission. When it gets cold I've taken to shifting from 1st to 3rd and just skipping 2nd altogether until things get warmed up. Piece of crap!!!
It was only a suggestion to try to help you. You could always use the info about the bulb making it easier as ammo with your dealer. That's where I was going. Sorry. I'll try to remember your username and keep my mouth shut next time.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey HEK...

Would this be a certain dealer on Rt 20 in Westfield, maybe next door to a Walmart?

That would be where I got my 08 Sahara.

SO FAR, I've had good luck with the service dept there, but I haven't asked for any warrantee repairs. BUT, I had my reservations from buying there because I went to school with one of the owner's sons... who of course, works for the business now. He came across as shifty back in school, and doesn't look like he's changed much.

But, it was the only dealer that was local, that I knew of.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
It was only a suggestion to try to help you. You could always use the info about the bulb making it easier as ammo with your dealer. That's where I was going. Sorry. I'll try to remember your username and keep my mouth shut next time.
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding like I was down on you about the suggestion. I realize you are just trying to help out. Please accept my apology. I just get so steamed everytime I get on this transmission thing. It just galls me terribly that Chrysler couldn't give a crap about their product or customer. This is our third Jeep and the previous two were the reason we bought this one. But with the previous two, we bought them used and didn't deal with Chrysler for any repairs, we used an independent mechanic who is fabulous. I still get my other cars serviced there and he too agrees that the transmission just ain't right. My apologies again, hope we are cool.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:35 AM
HEK
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Shellikins
Hey HEK...

Would this be a certain dealer on Rt 20 in Westfield, maybe next door to a Walmart?

That would be where I got my 08 Sahara.

SO FAR, I've had good luck with the service dept there, but I haven't asked for any warrantee repairs. BUT, I had my reservations from buying there because I went to school with one of the owner's sons... who of course, works for the business now. He came across as shifty back in school, and doesn't look like he's changed much.

But, it was the only dealer that was local, that I knew of.
Oh yes the same one on Route 20, I wouldn't want to mention the name Bertera of course..., but the main reason I bought it there is because my wifey had been looking for a comparable vehicle as the one I really wanted the FJ TRD ....and with my employee discount to 1% below invoice I could have the top of the line rig that had more options than the FJ, unfortunatelly is not the poor quality of the rig itself is the poor training this "mechanics"() have...in general I know that once the shaft is replaced and the squeal is still there I will have to leave it on another occasion....and again and again...., maybe I'll make friends there or enemies....
Old 07-19-2008, 11:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding like I was down on you about the suggestion. I realize you are just trying to help out. Please accept my apology. I just get so steamed everytime I get on this transmission thing. It just galls me terribly that Chrysler couldn't give a crap about their product or customer. This is our third Jeep and the previous two were the reason we bought this one. But with the previous two, we bought them used and didn't deal with Chrysler for any repairs, we used an independent mechanic who is fabulous. I still get my other cars serviced there and he too agrees that the transmission just ain't right. My apologies again, hope we are cool.

No sweat. We're all good here.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:48 PM
-

This is priceless information that I got from a buddy years ago and it works like f'ing magic!

When you first take your Jeep to the dealer, find out from your salesman which service writer has been there the longest, do some research and find out if he is a happy-go-lucky person or if he hates the world. If he hates the world, move on until you have picked a stable service write that looks like he may be working there for a while. Note: its best if its the service manager!

You Will be taking you Jeep in for service and when you do, always use this service writer (manager). Be VERY pleasant. It is important to remember that this manager or writer does nothing more than hear bad things all day and gets bitched at from about every end of the dealership. Since you realize this, you will always be nice to him and not be impatient or demanding. These people have certain things they can only do a couple times a month without authorization from Daimler chrysler such as winsdhields, brakes, driveshafts....... Be rest assured, if he likes you, it will be a no brainer when he sees you.

Make sure you stay on his good side, Every time you take your Jeep in for service, make sure you WRITE a letter back to the dealer stating exactly how much they have helped you making sure to mentiion your mechaninc's and service writer (manager's name). It will trickle back to him from his supervisors and you are slowly moving to the top of his favorite customer list.......

Every couple times in for service, stop and get a 25 dollar gift card to a local resturant. Drop it off to him in an envelope with a note saying how much you appreciate his help when you pick your vehicle up.

When Christmas comes around, make sure he is on your list of places to stop by and drop off another gift card. BOOM, you are now at the top of his customer list! Job well done!

This process cost me about an hour of my time (writing those sappy thanks letters) and 150-200 bucks a year. What do I get in return......A clean DETAILED Jeep every time I pick up mine from service. Warranty work on things that I broke....and He knows it! Appointments whenever I need em and a rental when it stays overnight. Considering replacement of one driveshaft or axle shaft will cost double that, its well worth my investment.

You shold look at your warranty as a key that the dealership has complete control over. this plan should allow you to share this control with your service advisor. It may not work for everybody but it has been ultra helpful to me both at the Jeep dealership but also over at Mercedes.

Last edited by huskerjk7; 07-19-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:16 AM
HEK
JK Freak

Originally Posted by huskerjk7
This is priceless information that I got from a buddy years ago and it works like f'ing magic!

When you first take your Jeep to the dealer, find out from your salesman which service writer has been there the longest, do some research and find out if he is a happy-go-lucky person or if he hates the world. ...............
You shold look at your warranty as a key that the dealership has complete control over. this plan should allow you to share this control with your service advisor. It may not work for everybody but it has been ultra helpful to me both at the Jeep dealership but also over at Mercedes.

Well let me tell you that the one guy (writer) I've seen in there seems to be so out of it it's pathetic, he had my keys in front of him and spent close to 10 minutes looking for them on the peg board they use... and the other writer is a kid that just started, (he mentioned this at the time I was about to make an appointment)....all in all I shouldn't have to kiss their behinds to get good service, I bring my Acura to get a bulb changed at no cost and I get my car washed and vacuumed and the waiting room has soda, bottled water, candy pastries, coffee...you name it....did I mention when I go in they call me by my name like I know them and well is a complete different world, the mechanics are well groomed and have clean uniforms, now the Jeep delaership has mechanics that look like ZZ Top wannabees and they appear to have or had dealt with substance abuse due to the discoloration of their front teeth...or have a horrible dental plan...., not to mention that they seem to hate their job .....
Old 07-28-2008, 05:18 PM
HEK
JK Freak

Well it's been 10 days since my original post and I left my JK at the dealer to have them change the "steering shaft" and of course when I got it back, guess what I found after I drove around their lot....the "sneaker/ squeal" sound...how unusual..., can I say DUH...oh wait I'm 49..so I go back in the service dpt and asked to take the service tech for a ride.....he says he hears it but at 19k most dealers stop making repairs for rattles and bumps at 12k...I say, this is not something loose inside the cabin that I can take care of it, it's something mechanical that I bet if I had 40k you would have told me that I had to replace the tranny at my cost...well he looked at me and knew I was serious so now I have to wait until Wed to call bak as he will contact Chrysler again and ask for a factory rep to check out the sound....he also mentioned that if he was to repair my Rubi based on the TSB's and the sound was still there I was stuck with it.... , I looked at him and said....maybe in the World you live, personally I have had 2 friends go in arbitration against Chrysler with the lemon law and have won, so I know whom to talk to and will get plenty of advise, again he looked at me and said ...please call me on Wednesday...

Quick Reply: Another unhappy dealer story....long vent