Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another reason to distrust dealerships.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another reason to distrust dealerships.

Took my 2010 JKU in for skid plate recall. When I made the appointment I asked them to once again look for the water leak that they have been unable to find. Got there and was told they would not have time to check for the leak. What they did have time for was to "check everything" else on my jeep. When I picked it up they had a list totaling over $800 of things that greatly needed to be done to my jeep. The list: differential fluids are contaminated and black, transfer case fluid contaminated and black, spark plugs in poor condition, throttle body dirty and need of cleaning. I checked my throttle body and it is spotless. Can not see any indication that any of the spark plugs wires were removed. Killer is I though this was going to be a dealership service department I could trust.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by snytribe
Took my 2010 JKU in for skid plate recall. When I made the appointment I asked them to once again look for the water leak that they have been unable to find. Got there and was told they would not have time to check for the leak. What they did have time for was to "check everything" else on my jeep. When I picked it up they had a list totaling over $800 of things that greatly needed to be done to my jeep. The list: differential fluids are contaminated and black, transfer case fluid contaminated and black, spark plugs in poor condition, throttle body dirty and need of cleaning. I checked my throttle body and it is spotless. Can not see any indication that any of the spark plugs wires were removed. Killer is I though this was going to be a dealership service department I could trust.
I'm beginning to think that does not exist.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks to this forum I'm starting to do a lot of work on my own. If I can't there is a local shop that is outstanding. With the power train warranty I was hoping if I ever need major work done this would be the place. Looks like I was wrong.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I took mine in after I went wheeling and smashed the muffler tip on a rock. They call me 30 min after dropping her off for my free oil change and they wanted $1k to swap out the entire exhaust system! I told the tech he must take me for an idiot. Safe to say we'll never step a foot inside that dealership.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they were just hoping that you wont come back for the leak. tell them there is 8 hours in a work day and that feels like more than enough time to find a water leak. or you can schedule a time when they do have time to look at it. either way its coming in so that they can fix it. then see what they say.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I work at a Dodge/Jeep dealership and from my experience its not that the service department is untrustworthy its that they are just plain lazy. Even stock warranty work is like pulling teeth. If a vehicle comes in with more than just an oil change they all flip out. When I got my 2011 JKU I opted out for the extended warranty just to save myself the headache of trying to get work done later. Granted Im sure they are some crooked dealerships around, but laziness plays a big part
Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

You must realize that these techs get paid on a commission basis. Each job is assigned a book hour. Like a tune up might pay 1 hour. The techs know what jobs pay the best and take the least amount of time to complete. That tune up that pays 1 hour probably only takes the tech 15-20 mins complete. They want the fastest to complete yet best paying jobs. Hunting for a water leak doesn't pay. Preventative maintenance does. It's not that there lazy, just trying to make a living. I work in a shop where I get paid regardless so if I have to spend 4 hours looking for a leak then so be it but the tech that only gets paid to turn hours won't. It's almost criminal the way most techs get paid. And that's why most dealer ships are the way they are. The owners of these places have created this mentality among techs. They don't do it to screw u they do it to make a check.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a flat rate dealership tech myself. He is absolutely right on.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol @ spark plugs... so sad to think of how many people fall for this bs and end up paying for it.

Thanks for the info Brianpd79 and BigSteve... I have a feeling I know a dealership that works on commission b/c they turned me away when I had a clicking noise in my steering wheel telling me they would look at it if/when it gets louder. I guess they didn't want to spend 4+ hours hunting it down.

Hopefully for the tech's sake the industry changes and more places start paying by the hour working and not the book rate.

Last edited by hypeiv; 09-04-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

That's the reason I stay at the little independent shop I'm at. I'm sure I could make more money at a dealer but I refuse to be part of a crooked system.

Quick Reply: Another reason to distrust dealerships.