Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another financial tip for the Jeep.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goaterguy
It will all depend on the terms, I have had balance tranfers that will uphold the terms until you can pay them off. I hope the OP read the terms and makes sure that the credit card can't change the terms whenever they want, and those first few minimum payments are going to be really hight.
If they honor their agreement. I have had credit cards in the past that were at a lifetime fixed rate. Never to change (so they promised)... only to have them after 4 or 5 years come back and change the terms of the original agreement. We never missed a payment, never were late. When asked why they changed the agreement, said "They can't offer that anymore". I guess "lifetime" didn't mean my lifetime.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

not that I would want to give BO, or the Dems any credit, but they did sign in some key legislation about credit recently (so I though). This included that CCs have to notify you of rate changes in advance. Although, they will just pepper you with other stuff so that you throw away your notice. They also banned them from sucking in kids on campuses too. This...well, this I agree with.

Digressing...
And also, we should add that this does nothing to fix the credit crisis the legal pushes of BO (pre prez) and other libtards did forcing banks to open lending. 20 years of that went well.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default Really

Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spartan99

2) I have the pink slip since I transferred the balance to my credit card.
No more lien (lein?)= lower insurance premiums.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Any Clime
not that I would want to give BO, or the Dems any credit, but they did sign in some key legislation about credit recently (so I though). This included that CCs have to notify you of rate changes in advance. ...
The most significant change, relative to OP's situation is consumers now have the right to opt out of certain significant changes in terms on their accounts. Opting out means cardholders agree to close their accounts and pay off the balance under the old terms. They will have at least five years to pay the balance.

Of course, if OP gives them cause to raise rates (such as a late payment), that's a whole different ball game--he's basically at their mercy. And banks have no mercy. I hope that he got this credit card through a credit union (99.999%*** of all consumer banking can be done through a credit union, where you are part owner/member rather than a mark--er, I mean customer).

Here's more info on the opt out provisions:

creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-act-takes-effect-1282.php

Regarding the Dem's and President Obama receiving credit: It pains me to admit this, but the Republicans were also strong supporters of this legislation--at least once it came down to a vote--357-70 in the House, and 90-5 in the Senate and 279-147 in the House for the amended bill out of the Senate (that would have been my senator, Tom Coburn, giving gun folks the right to carry their weapons in national parks). Imagine that: Bipartisanship.

***Okay, I made up that number. But it's probably pretty darned close to correct.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark
Worst Tip Ever. So youre paying off a debt with another debt with higher interest? Not smart.
Not a numbers guy are you...

Car loan- 6% APR
Credit card loan- 1.99%

Think back to 1st grade where the aligator eats the bigger number. The bigger number in this case is 6.

I love this board. I could post that the sky is blue and all hell would break loose with controversy.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tcodtj
So now that you have paid it off (not really) you're going to drop the insurance coverage?

Another flash of brilliance. No where did I ever state that I'd drop my coverage, yet this poster assumes I'm going to drop the coverage. I have absolutely no clue how such a conclusion was drawn , but it is extremely entertaining.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm curious what part of insurance will change just because you don't have a lien.
The rates are higher when you have a lien on it because they make you buy full coverage. Once I get the pink slip I'll inform them that I simply want liability or whatever it's called when it comes to repairing my vehicle when the accident is my fault. If it's my fault, I'll pay out of pocket for my car's damage and in exchange I get a lower premium. Coverage for the rest remains the same, of course.

And yes those who posted about terms and conditions are correct. That's where the good credit comes in. My credit score's in the 800's and you're treated far differently with that kind of score than if you have a score in the low 700's or below. I am maticulous about payments: late payments aren't in my vocabulary, hence the 800's credit score. So the whole late payment scare isn't an issue at all. My payments are less than a few hundred dollars per month with only $15 going to interest and the rest going to principal. Whether I pay it off early or not, either way I save a ton of money. For those of you who can't get past the math, no further info from me will assist you in grasping the concept.

Again, you must have outstanding credit for this to even be an option. But if you do it's a great way to go.

Last edited by spartan99; 12-29-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by goaterguy
It will all depend on the terms, I have had balance tranfers that will uphold the terms until you can pay them off. I hope the OP read the terms and makes sure that the credit card can't change the terms whenever they want, and those first few minimum payments are going to be really hight.

I did this to pay off some debts (about $11k) and it worked for me but I knew everything up front and the first minimum payments were over $1,000.

It is also true that if you miss one, you are screwed!
This doesn't apply to me.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartan99
The rates are higher when you have a lien on it because they make you buy full coverage. Once I get the pink slip I'll inform them that I simply want liability or whatever it's called when it comes to repairing my vehicle when the accident is my fault. If it's my fault, I'll pay out of pocket for my car's damage and in exchange I get a lower premium. Coverage for the rest remains the same, of course.

And yes those who posted about terms and conditions are correct. That's where the good credit comes in. My credit score's in the 800's and you're treated far differently with that kind of score than if you have a score in the low 700's or below. I am maticulous about payments: late payments aren't in my vocabulary, hence the 800's credit score. So the whole late payment scare isn't an issue at all. My payments are less than a few hundred dollars per month with only $15 going to interest and the rest going to principal. Whether I pay it off early or not, either way I save a ton of money. For those of you who can't get past the math, no further info from me will assist you in grasping the concept.

Again, you must have outstanding credit for this to even be an option. But if you do it's a great way to go.
That would be dropping coverage now wouldn't it.

Quick Reply: Another financial tip for the Jeep.