Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another cheap (sub-$8) trail jack tow hooks mount

Old 06-16-2016, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Another cheap (sub-$8) trail jack tow hooks mount

I whipped up a simple and cheap mount for my trail jack that mounts to the front tow hooks. I thought I'd share how to. This will work with my type of jack (Smittybilt) or any other Hi-Lift or farm jack type of trail jack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-16 13.03.02.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	649919

First, you want to get a pair of these guys from Home Depot:
Superstrut 1-1/2 in. Beam Clamp Silver Galvanized-ZU501EG-10 - The Home Depot

While you are there you should pick up four flat washers about 3/4" diameter that fit the U-bolts and two extra nuts that also fit the U-bolts.

You will be attaching the jack with only one side of each U-bolt, so you need to convert the U-bolts to J-shaped bolts by cutting one side off of each bolt. To find where to cut it, test-fit each bracket to the tow hook and mark where the top surface of the nut is on one side of the U-bolt. You want to cut it so that the short side of the bolt is flush with the top of the nut when you bolt it all together.

I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to cut the bolts and a file to dress the ends so the nut would go on. You can use whatever method suits you.

Once the bolt is cut so you have two J-bolts, then install each bracket onto each tow hook with the angled flange facing outward and towards the bottom, as shown in the picture. Probably best to get the long side of the J bolt towards the inside. Once the nuts are tightened, slip a washer over each of the long bolts against the nut, and then you can slip the jack over these bolts. You might have to adjust the distance between the brackets to line up with the jack holes (I didn't).

Flange orientation:

Name:	2016-06-16 13.03.17.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	649920

Short side of J bolt cut off flush with top of nut:

Name:	2016-06-16 13.03.39.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	649921

Now put the other washer over each bolt as it comes through the jack and then put another nut on there, tighten it and you're done.

Installed close-up, you can see the cut off bolt through the hole in the jack.

Name:	2016-06-16 13.03.23.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	649922

Now before you guys all mention it:

Yes you can make a lock for this by drilling a hole across through one of the bolts and putting a lock shackle through that hole if you think someone's going to steal your jack.

Yes you do have to use a wrench to remove the jack, in my case a 14mm deep socket. Some kind of thumb screw or wing nut would also work, provided you can get it tight ad keep it tight. I'm not really worried about this for mine, I don't mind carrying a wrench at those times when I think I might need the jack.

Yes you have to remove the entire bracket in order to use the tow hooks. I figure some of you might have a winch on the front of your Jeep anyway and you won't likely need recovery hooks in the front, and otherwise some of you, maybe most, won't ever need front tow hooks anyway (and probably won't need the jack either). But it's not like this is a big job to remove/reinstall these brackets if you do need the front tow hooks.

Dunno whether I'll keep the jack mounted on all the time or remove it after offroading.

Last edited by mr72; 06-16-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very clever. I like it! Nice work. Seems like it's perfect if you only carry your hi lift on the trail.

Quick Reply: Another cheap (sub-$8) trail jack tow hooks mount