Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

That Annoying Rattle

Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry That Annoying Rattle

You know those plastic frame parts on the outside of the roll bar where the doors are...the ones that help hold down the soft when the plastic piece of the soft top snaps into? Sure you do.....ever have a problem of them rattling while you drive? Here's a quick and very cheap solution. I went to a local hardware store and bought 1 foot of 1/2 hard plastic tubing. Extracted the handled-screws from the top and cut a piece of tubing that fit from the underneath of the handle to just above the threads. Then split the tubing all the way down (makes it easier to get onto the screw. With the plastic frames in place, slide the plastic tubing through the holes into the roll bar, then insert the handled-screws and tighten. EUREKA! No more rattling. Total cost about $0.30. Just thought I'd pass that along in case someone else was experiencing the problem.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Same issue on my 2dr, I just removed the retaining screws and wrapped with black electrical tape up to where the threads start. Wala!! No more rattle.

Its the large thumb screws that hold the plastic door surround to the roll bar. There are (4) total.

I would post pics but the 2dr is gone now, but there is a pretty new 4dr in the garage. Waiting on brackets to get the soft top installed. If this one rattles I will do it on these also.

Last edited by YingYang; 08-12-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default R U Happy Toad?

As requested by Toad, I've uploaded some pictures to help what I was explaining in my thread. Hope they make it clearer to you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame Part.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	28469   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02157.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	28470   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02158.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	28471   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02161.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	28472   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02163.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	28473  

Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after you insert the plastic sleeve and screw all the way down tight into the roll bar, what happens when you try to unscrew them in order to take those peices off for hardtop installation. Will the plastic come out with the screw or stay down in there?

I just noticed this rattle this week and wasn't sure what it was. I though it was something in my door.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by roadking54@gmail.com
after you insert the plastic sleeve and screw all the way down tight into the roll bar, what happens when you try to unscrew them in order to take those peices off for hardtop installation. Will the plastic come out with the screw or stay down in there?

I just noticed this rattle this week and wasn't sure what it was. I though it was something in my door.
That is why I used the black electrical tape. Only took about 2 wraps and it stays on when you remove the screws. I think I stopped about 1/4" from where the threads start.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Well my first question would be.... Why would you want a hardtop? When I backed out the screws the plastic stayed on, that's why I chose the 1/2 inch diameter for that snug fit.

Quick Reply: That Annoying Rattle