Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

American made ?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob7765
It is going to be hard to know for most things.

Made in the USA isn't always what it seems. It could be "Made in the USA" with parts from China.
It is true it's hard to know. It can be difficult to impossible to find a U.S. source for some things; and prohibitedly expensive in some cases unless you're talking about large quantities. But, you have to start somewhere.

The more tier 1 manufacturing we have the more demand there is for tier 2 manufacturing. And eventually that reaches the tiers that makes the little odds and ends. We got into this mess by outsourcing the little things which led to outsourcing the next higher up item and so on. We can get out of it in the same way (although in reverse).

Steel is a very important factor, because its a raw material of so many of the products and accounts for a good deal of the cost into a lot of products. Many manufacturers don't use American steel or couldn't tell you if they did or not. We're considering providing certification documents in the future that prove the origin of our steel.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American made.

Next time you fill that Jeep up with gasoline ask where the crude came from that it was refined from. If the answer wasn't USA maybe you should drive around till you find a station that only sells gasoline refined from USA wells.
Think about it. I have no problem supporting my economy but I also have no problem supporting others as supply and availability come into play.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Detn8RYellow
See I don't have a problem with buying from Australia, North America or Europe.. I am Tired of supporting China's economy
x's two brother
Old 06-30-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
Next time you fill that Jeep up with gasoline ask where the crude came from that it was refined from. If the answer wasn't USA maybe you should drive around till you find a station that only sells gasoline refined from USA wells.
Think about it. I have no problem supporting my economy but I also have no problem supporting others as supply and availability come into play.
Last time I checked the US gets around 60% of it's oil from Canada, about 30% from the US, and sources about 10% from the middle east and other areas. It has been a few years since I have looked so it might have changed, but I know that most of it does come from North America.

I don't go out of my way to buy American, but if I am looking at two items side by side, and one costs only a few dollars more and is American made, then I will support that product as long as they both are of the same quality.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
YOU JUST DONT GET IT! I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Littlejon
Last time I checked the US gets around 60% of it's oil from Canada, about 30% from the US, and sources about 10% from the middle east and other areas. It has been a few years since I have looked so it might have changed, but I know that most of it does come from North America.

The oil/gas issue is an interesting one. I'd definitely like to read more if anyone has some direction to point me in.

I did a quick search and according to the EIA (w w w.eia.doe.gov/bookshelf/brochures/gasoline/index.html) "In 2007 U.S. refineries produced 90 percent of the gasoline used in the United States. Although the United States is the world’s third largest crude oil producer, less than 35 percent of the crude oil used by U.S. refineries was produced in the United States. Net petroleum imports (imports minus exports) accounted for 58 percent of our total petroleum consumption. About 48 percent of our net petroleum imports were from countries in the Western Hemisphere, 18 percent from the Persian Gulf, 22 percent from Africa, and 12 percent from other regions."

Also as for asking the guy at the pump they say, "The name on the service station sign does not tell the whole story. The fact that you purchase gasoline from a given company does not necessarily mean that the gasoline was actually produced by that particular company’s refineries. ...Even if we knew at which company’s refinery the gasoline was produced, the source of the crude oil used at that refinery may vary on a day-to-day basis. Most refiners use a mix of crude oils from various domestic and foreign sources. The mix of crude oils can change based on the relative cost and availability of crude oil from different sources."

I'm not taking these as the word but just putting them out there...
Old 07-24-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Detn8RYellow
See I don't have a problem with buying from Australia, North America or Europe.. I am Tired of supporting China's economy
I totally agree with you brother.

If I can put money into an American company....I will do that whenever possible and practical.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Trailmaster, OR-Fab, Performance accessories all Amercan made. We are located in Chino Valley, Arizona.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
i'm sure you can, but why not just ask when you order?

Fulltraction
Hanson
Purejeep
RockKrawler
Clayton
Offroad evolution

are all american made, not sure about anyone else
I believe M.O.R.E can safely be added to the list. Confirmed with their website:
"Mountain Off-Road Enterprises specializes in high quality, American made products that are carefully crafted in-house using a high-tech, 3D laser cut technology."
Old 10-17-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Junkie

We are lucky the aftermarket products in this market have a large percentage of US made products.

The biggest challenge is probably Chrysler/Jeep itself, tires, electronics and interior accessories (I know what interior! ).

Quick Reply: American made ?