Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

American Jeep

Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
Oh yeah? Well my crappy windshield was "Hecho en Mexico". Top that. Maybe the guy operating the machine had one too many tequilas with lunch that day, and that's why my windshield cracks if you look at it too hard.
I'm on my 3rd one and it's cracked, my first was"Hecho en Mexico" aswell.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Let's see: Ford and who else? Or do you think that the foreign companies have not been seeking their own government bailout programs from their respective countries?

I'd suggest that if you want to take a stand, take it for those companies that pay back their bailout promptly. Otherwise, you should have never bought a Jeep in the first place (Chrysler was bailed out under Lee Iaccoca), and I'd hate to think that you'd reject a great motorcycle company such as Harley Davidson just because they asked for government assistance to stem the tide of cheap, Japanese knock-offs a couple decades ago. There are many more examples of U.S. companies getting into trouble and using government assistance in various forms to get back on track.
I've long loved the Ford... my first was an '81 F100 stepside (still running in the next county over... looking to buy it back), 92 explorer, Ma drives her Lincoln, I got my 95 bronco still and except for the battery, runs great. Also got a 'vette for the GM side, and now the JK. Probably won't be buying a Chevy soon, but Chrysler is still an option, based on... well, I want the Challenger! I totally agree, that they better do a good job of payback... they did well with the '80 deal... and look where they went (present situation excluded) They were well up there! Hope to see it again. Though, to be honest, I'll probably be buying a Ford next... The F-series is just too strong to ignore.

Originally Posted by yendor65
wow......... were is this thread going......
From my last comment on the thread (yesterday when I left work) til this morning, we've added 2 pages... didn't think it would build that quickly... looking forward myself.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

69% u.s./canadian parts
15% mexico
Attachment 25273
Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Post 2007 Rubicon Unlimited

My window sticker says: U.S./Canadian parts content: 79%, Final Assembly Point: Toledo, Ohio. Engine USA Transmission USA.
What gets me is that the machined cast aluminum wheels are from China, when right here in Kokomo we have the largest aluminum casting facility in the US, if not the world!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

I guess you fellas didn't know that the chassis on your JK is made by Hyundai.

The upstart Korean supplier that defeated Dana Corp. in Dana's back yard says it did it with high quality and low costs.

Four-year-old Hyundai Mobis was the surprise winner of a plum project to supply complete chassis modules to the Chrysler group's new Jeep plant in Toledo, Ohio. Dana of Toledo was one of the unsuccessful bidders
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n26624546/
Old 06-09-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

maybe Ford Should have bought jeep!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah....lots of parts made in Mexico. Including the porous timing covers that Juan cast too thin cause he was still drunk on tiquila from the night before. ....and what's with this attitude that because it AIN'T made in America it might be inferior? That's the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard. Americans know how to screw something up just as well as the rest of the world. Sometimes better. Old drunk Juan ain't goit nuthin on Bubba and Leroy who are UAW members and get drunk and stoned at lunch and come back to the assembly line.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Black08X
I guess you fellas didn't know that the chassis on your JK is made by Hyundai.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n26624546/
I had heard that a while back... but nothing since... i figured that guy was just crazy or something.

Originally Posted by 358ciHD
maybe Ford Should have bought jeep!
I suggested that to someone else last week... if you think of the classic jeep - the world war 2... weren't a third to half of them made by ford, and the rest by Willys?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

It would be cool to see how many american jobs each manufacturer provides...

Quick Reply: American Jeep