Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

American Jeep

Old 06-08-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKRINGO
All this time I prided myself thinking I was driving an" American Icon". Wonder just where exactly the JK stands in American content?
2009 Sahara and X Unlimited I checked on Jeep.com:

U.S./CANADA PARTS CONTENT: 57%
Old 06-08-2009, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it really matter where the parts are made? If the company is American (and it is), and its made FOR Americans (and it is), why does it matter?? Things are made overseas to make it more cost efficient, and that is ok with me.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by armycop
2009 Sahara and X Unlimited I checked on Jeep.com:

U.S./CANADA PARTS CONTENT: 57%
Thanks Armycop! I have my window sticker just to lazy to get it. 57%! thought it would have been higher. Then again this is Chrysler where talking about.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpiotr01
That's what I've been afraid of.

What I don't get is this: Court docs say if they liquidate the whole sha-bang, including Jeep, would fetch about 800 million. Those Indiana unions held about 1% or less of total Chrysler debt. They'd walk away with what, 8 million total? They're getting a better deal by letting the deal go through. I just don't get it.
Their debt is "secured debt" which puts them at the front of the line. That's the whole reason behind the lawsuit. The groups with secured debt are supposed to be paid off first, and the ones with unsecured debt get the left overs. The government is trying to do it the other way around.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpiotr01
That's what I've been afraid of.

What I don't get is this: Court docs say if they liquidate the whole sha-bang, including Jeep, would fetch about 800 million. Those Indiana unions held about 1% or less of total Chrysler debt. They'd walk away with what, 8 million total? They're getting a better deal by letting the deal go through. I just don't get it.
Because the Indiana FUNDS (not unions) think they can get more of their money back making sure Chrysler follows current bankruptcy law rather than the made-up BS created by the Obama administration to force it through.

And if Chrysler liquidates they won't sell-off piecemeal. Jeep itself can be sold for well over a billion dollars, I'm sure. Dodge will go too if just for their trucks.

Probably anything that makes a diesel engine will be sold intact. The rest - scrapped.

Just my uneducated guess.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KY.
Does it really matter where the parts are made? If the company is American (and it is), and its made FOR Americans (and it is), why does it matter?? Things are made overseas to make it more cost efficient, and that is ok with me.
Not with me. The Chinese in particular slip a lot of substandard crap under the radar. Hence, bad pet food, bad milk and bad dry wall.

And those are only what I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can go either way with this argument. I bet if the JK was made with 100% U.S. made parts and labor, how much would it cost? Could we afford one? I would conservatively say if we did it all in country the price would be 33-50% more than it is now. I couldn't afford it...
Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKRINGO
Thanks Armycop! I have my window sticker just to lazy to get it. 57%! thought it would have been higher. Then again this is Chrysler where talking about.
My 07 was US/Canadian parts content: 79% Engine US Transmission US
Old 06-08-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Frankly, I'd prefer non-US content and assembly

Ya know, I smoke 2 packs of cigs a day (it's stupid, I know, so don't start), and I was still shocked silly to find out that the UAW demanded (and got) the right of their members to smoke on the assembly line. I mean while they're building the vehicles. There are a lot of people to blame for the current situation, but I just can't get over that one. God knows how any cigarette butts we've got in the nooks and crannies of our vehicles.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default wow

wow......... were is this thread going......

Quick Reply: American Jeep