Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Am I the only 1 that prefers NO TINTED Glass Tops

Old 11-28-2006, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clear for me too, better for offroad. It's also somewhat harder to see at night backing up no matter what you do. Just an opinion.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Am I the only person that may prefer no Tints on my hard and soft tops on the JK?
Yes, I was with you, maxg765. I would have rather had no tinted windows in my hardtop or the softtop. I was surprised to learn from the above posts that some don't have them. I hate the tinted windows. If I could have found a 2007 4-door JK without tinted windows, I would have gotten them for both my hardtop and soft top.

But, my 4-door JK came in a couple weeks ago, and I honestly haven't even noticed them.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

I'm with you, Buddy. I didn't want the tinted windows on either my hardtop or my soft top. But, I've had my new JK for about three weeks, and I honestly don't even notice the tinted windows while I'm driving it.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was a little concerned about what it would be like at night but like a couple of others have said, I don't really notice it. I think it looks great, prefer the appearance of the tint.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I'll never drive another vehicle with tinted windows (if I can help it).
Old 12-10-2006, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Amen to tint.

I am with the tint crowd. My TJ had no tint, it was the last vehicle (notice I did't refer to it with the C** word) I'll ever drive w/o tint. When I sold the TJ I bought a 2000 Grand Prix GTP and put in the max legal tint (acutally I think it was a shade illegal) in FL. Then I bought a Nissan Titan after getting back from Iraq, it had tint within 2 weeks of purchase (factory tint on back, matching shade on front door windows). My wife drove a 2005 Mini Cooper S, it too was tinted as dark as the law allows.

Good things about tint:
-Keeps interior of vehicle much cooler (esp if you block the front windows)
-Much easier on the eyes during daylight driving (reduces glare headaches)
-Adds much privacy when driving
-looks DYNO-MITE!!
-provides a tremendous amount of cooling to little ones who may be riding in back

Bad things:
-At night in a horrible rainstorm, when the sky is black and there are no street lights and it is super foggy, you may have trouble reading road signs in a neighborhood if you look out of your driver side window.

There are so few times when it hampers your ability to see, honestly, go with the TINT!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live in south Florida and you almost have to have tint in the summer.I put lighter tint on the front window and the back window tint is just find to look out at night.but if you live in a colder area maybe no tint fine.i leave the top on all summer(a/c on) and run with it off in the winter and fall just to hot and sunny here
Old 12-10-2006, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubidon
I would like to see the two front panels of the freedom top see thru. That would have been pretty sweet.
Your wish is DaimlerChrysler's command. Mopar Accessories is working on this right now. They should be available in the spring.

By the way, I'm a no-tint guy. I want to 'wheel at night and don't like looking through tinted windows in the dark. I ordered my Rubicon Unlimited with every option except the tinted windows and the side airbags.

Last edited by Phil Howell; 12-10-2006 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Am I the only 1 that prefers NO TINTED Glass Tops