Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Am I crazy to trade in my F-150??

Old 10-27-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing you MIGHT miss is the loss of power. I know id miss it. But family comes first right? plus a rubicon is the most capable off road vehicle on the market hands down. so a rubi is NEVER a wrong decision!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have owned many jeeps;all models but this jk is great.do it now and become an owner who ever morning likes the look of what you bought. the look does not get old.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

You will miss your truck big time. Bigger, faster, more cargo.

The thing that trumps all is the Jeep lifestyle. I can go everywhere. My Jeep will never leave my side again. (mistakingly got rid of my 07) But, now that I've had my JK(s) for a couple of years, I find my self eyeing up the new F150...wanting that as a daily driver....and tow rig for my JK.

I have no kids, but my bro does. They have an Excursion and a JK Unlimited Sahara. The kids love taking the Jk to the beach, but they get all whiney on road trips, complaining that it's uncomfortable. Just FYI.

Like I said, you have to buy in to the lifestyle to appreciate the JK. A buddy of mine with a wife and kids made the comment that he wanted one, but would prob not offroad it much and would leave the hard top on. Just wants something that can handle snow better. I recommended he go with a LR3 or a GC with a Hemi. I think most "non-Jeepers" would be disappointed in the lack of power with the JK's POS 3.8.

Last edited by shredX; 10-27-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your decision will come to cargo space. How often do you use the cargo space on your PU?

If the answer is frequently or all the time when I have the kids then you will miss your F-150. At that point the question is will the improvement in vehicle lifestyle be enough to outweigh the need for cargo space and capacity?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

Im going to be the first and say NO keep the truck if you can and get the jeep JMO
Old 10-27-2009, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kept my f150 for daily driver. Test drive it really good before you buy it. You will miss the power. Gas mileage will be better on the jeep if you can keep it factory.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I gave my F-150 to my son. I love this JK (been in it for 2-1/2 years now). I never thought that about the F-150. But, having said that, let me point out that while mine has been very good to me, it's not a Ford in quality. It comes as no surprise to me that Chrysler came in dead last in today's release of quality numbers by Consumer Reports. And Ford was very high up. No surprise at all. But, I would never go back--I love this Jeep, warts and all.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from a loaded '08 Silverado to my JK. I miss some of the creature comforts, AWD mode, V8 power, and it drove a hell of a lot better, but I still like my Unlimited Rubicon better. Plus, it actually fits on trails.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffncs
I loved the looks and cross-functional appeal of the Unlimited JK since day #1. I have a family (2 kids: 2 years old and 1 year old), so require space for children's seats. I have a SuperCrew F150 that treats me very well...

I'm kicking tires looking at an Unlimited Rubicon with the following options: Dual top, Tow Package, Automatic. Should I trade my F150 in against it?

My logic follows:

- 4-door Jeep is more family-friendly to keep stroller and other stuff dry in rear - storage
- Rubicon has the fun factor I crave (recently sold a 77 bronco)
- My payments will only go up $20/month on a 48 month pay-off (extends payment period from truck loan ny 6 mos.)
- if I need add'l utility, I'll buy a 5x10 trailer (which has more capacity, anyway!)

Thanks.
Jeff

Jeff.....I may be wrong on this, but do yourself a favor and check to see if you get the tow package what gearing comes with it. I am pretty sure when I bought mine it said it came with 3.73 gears with the tow pack. You may want to get the 4.10.

And just think how much you will be saving in gas compared to the Ford.

O....one more thing.....there will be varying opinions and I didn't look to see where you live......I would just go with one top if at all possible. I have 2 for the TJ and it just takes up room in the garage. My .02
Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All Rubicons have 4.10 gears.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy to trade in my F-150??