Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

For all those who think "JK killed the Jeep wave"...

Old 11-14-2009, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For all those who think "JK killed the Jeep wave"...

Sorry in advance for the rant but…

To all the a$$holes in older model Jeep Wranglers that don’t acknowledge me because I drive a JK. Granted the JK is my first Jeep but it doesn’t mean I never wanted a Jeep or that I don’t like getting it dirty or I don’t take it off-road, or I don’t enjoy what other Jeepers enjoy!!! It is total B.S. that you cannot respect me the way I respect you because you drive a CJ, YJ, TJ, etc and I drive a JK. When I wave to you, don’t act like you didn’t see my wave when you are looking right at me and then turn your head away as soon as I wave. I know deep down inside you wish you were in a JK and because you are not, you feel JK owners are mall crawlers and don’t deserve a return wave. One day though you yourself will be in a JK or maybe a newer style Jeep Wrangler if you are a “true Jeeper” and then you will understand we are all Jeepers and just because I drive a different model year than you, it doesn’t mean I am any less a Jeeper.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just making an observation, but your "rant" should have been posted on a CJ, YJ, or TJ web sight as these Jeep drivers seem to be the ones your fed-up with.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I dunno, it seems to me that JK'ers are less up to speed with the wave than anyone else. I definitely see more "do I know you?" stares from new jeeps than from older ones.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by w00dchuck
Just making an observation, but your "rant" should have been posted on a CJ, YJ, or TJ web sight as these Jeep drivers seem to be the ones your fed-up with.
LoL!!! I would agree but I figure since they all probably secretly come here anyway, I mine as well just post it here. Its all good though, the ones that dont wave probably dont check out the web either.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Don't be too critical of those who don't wave. I've been in a friends TJ many times when he has not gotten a return wave.
Some people are just uncomfortable waving to strangers.
I find the return rate in my area is 50/50.
In northern Maine, where there lots more Jeeps, the rate is even less, even among themselves.

Just keep waving to do your part.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

TommyG,
Just because they have an older Jeep doesn't mean they even know about the wave. It's not like it comes in the instruction book or printed on the gas cap When I first owned my CJ-7 many many years ago I didn't know about the wave until a while of owning
Old 11-14-2009, 05:35 AM
JK Junkie

I don't wave anymore in my town because I'm tired to feel like a jerk. Where I live, about 5% of Jeepers wave (including non JK Jeep's)
When I leave my soccer mom town, I wave

BTW, I respect your opinion
Old 11-14-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have empathy for TommyG's position on this, I too have experienced some of what he's talking about, though it's less so these days, post-lift and winch installation. Go figgur.

Another observation I've made is, it's venue dependent; most everyone in a Jeep regardless of vintage waves back and forth in my hometown. Go to various parts of Colorado or Moab for instance, and you don't get near the waves - you see Jeeps everwhere, less of a big deal I guess.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I quickly was initiated back 6mos ago as I was driving home from the dealer in Wisconsin. Being my first Jeep I never knew there was a Jeep Wave (I knew of the Corvette Wave), but I was a quick study. I do my best to keep on top of this (though sometimes I do slip) and wave to other Jeep folk. Most times I'll get a wave back, though sometimes I don't. I guess the simplest way to put it is you drive past a guy in a TJ in your shiney JK and he doesn't wave. Well a week later happen to pass that same guy in the TJ only this time you're on you way home after having hitting the trails with your rig covered in mud and your bumbper slightly mangled and this time he waves. Unfortunately for some, perception is reality.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

I don't think it's JK specific. My waves are mostly ignored by drivers of all Jeep models.. not just the JK. I get more return waves when I drive in the mountains, but in Denver, no so much.

Quick Reply: For all those who think "JK killed the Jeep wave"...