Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

After wheeling checks

Old 05-03-2007, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After wheeling checks

After wheeling what should i check or do to the jeep to keep it running well?

For example, say i went plowing through a puddle or two and also played in some mud.

After i wash it all off whats next? Are there cv joints i should re grease, or boots i need to look at, etc. Ive never done anything like that so any pointers and tips are very welcome.

Thanks

-J
Old 05-04-2007, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

On a new Jeep, you shouldn't have any dried or cracked seals to worry about water leaks, but it is not a bad idea to check them all anyway, especially around your front axle.

Also, check your air intake at the filter--if your filter is wet or dirty, change it immediately.

Check your axle breather tubes--I have had them pop off on TJ's.

If you still have the carpet in your Jeep, pull it up to make sure you don't have moisture on the floorboards.

Your Jeep is engineered to withstand water up to the bottom of the headlights, but in general, if you have any moisture or mud at or above your headlights, you are going too fast, or just wading in too deep.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

yea i kinda shot through, probably going to fast. It was fun but i dont plan on dipping into the mud like that for a while now. Where are the axle breather tubes?

Also, when spraying off the engine bay, is there anything i should worry about putting water on?
Old 05-05-2007, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

It's probably not a great idea to spray water, especially with a pressure washer, right at the computer system, fuse boxes, or alternator, but I will admit that I am not too careful about that and have never had a problem.

If you look at each axle, you will see a 1/2" rubber hose running from the axle, upward. The rear axle breather tube comes up near the right rear fender well. The front axle tube comes up under the left front fender well. Sometimes they pop off right at the axle, allowing moisture and debris to suck in.

Quick Reply: After wheeling checks