Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Advice for buying new (to me) Wrangler

Old 06-07-2020, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice for buying new (to me) Wrangler

My daughter wants a Wrangler (TJ or JK) 2-door and I was wondering if there was anything in particular we should look for (either that needs to be there or things we don't want to find). I consider myself to have a very good car and mechanical knowledge base, I just don't know jeeps. I have noticed that manual transmission jeeps (which I think she should have) seem to be a little cheaper that automatic transmission jeeps. However she wants to learn to drive on an automatic.

We looked at one that was a basic 2010 Sport with 140K miles. It seems mechanically sound but needed carpet (it was gone and the tub has been Herculinered). It also seems like it needs a new soft top soon. Is this common at this point? The velcro was pretty warn out and the black "straps" that run from the B pillar to the back, along the inner top edges, was completely gone on one side and falling apart on the other. The asking price was 13K which seemed high.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

That price is high. My advice would be to get 2012 or newer, automatic that has been kept in stock condition (no lift, normal size tires, no suspension work). The 2012 and newer has 40% more horsepower and torque and 10% better gas mileage compared to older models. I bought a 2014 2-door last fall with hard top, automatic, 54,000 miles for about $16k.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 406 Likes on 381 Posts

Ditto on Rob's reply... Keep looking.. especially with the Herculinered tub - Definitely go after 2012 or newer! Check Kelly Blue Book for pricing in your area.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Rob_Engineer recommended. I purchased a stock 2015 JK Sport at Christmas 2017 from a Jeep Dealer. Cost $ 21,000 , in mint/new condition. Off lease 36,000 miles. I love this Jeep and highly recommend Jeeps from 2015 thru 2017, Not one issue in 2 1/2 years of ownership.Only changed the pads and tires. Good luck !
Old 06-08-2020, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The TJ's will fetch a similar price as a JK if both are in decent condition. While I agree the 3.6 (2012+) is more powerful, I wouldn't shy away from a 10 or 11. I have a 10 with plenty of miles.

In regards to your soft top question- yes, if it's the factory top or a cheap top then that's very common. Soft tops can be replaced though and realistically, under $1000.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

I'm going to go way against the grain here and say that I would never put my teenage daughter (I presume we're talking teenager) behind the wheel of one of these as a daily driver. Yes, the cool factor for a young driver is through the roof, but these things are terrible, and sometimes down right dangerous, for some people, especially when talking older and higher mileage. Worn components can cause serious issues like DW, and outside of someone that is really in-tune with their vehicle, they're not great. I realize that is not a popular opinion, but as a JK lover, and father of 2 teen drivers, one of which is a female but has no bearings on this opinion, I wouldn't want either of them driving one as a DD. This isn't the vehicle for people that just want a "cool" car IMO. Everyone can feel free to roast me.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'm going to go way against the grain here and say that I would never put my teenage daughter (I presume we're talking teenager) behind the wheel of one of these as a daily driver. Yes, the cool factor for a young driver is through the roof, but these things are terrible, and sometimes down right dangerous, for some people, especially when talking older and higher mileage. Worn components can cause serious issues like DW, and outside of someone that is really in-tune with their vehicle, they're not great. I realize that is not a popular opinion, but as a JK lover, and father of 2 teen drivers, one of which is a female but has no bearings on this opinion, I wouldn't want either of them driving one as a DD. This isn't the vehicle for people that just want a "cool" car IMO. Everyone can feel free to roast me.
I bought my TJ from a guy who bought it for his teenage daughter- got an awesome deal because he realized he didn't want her in the "cool" car.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

There is an 18yo boy in our neighborhood that got an '11 maybe 18 months ago after wrecking the previous car. We're friends with the family. Neither he nor his dad are mechanically inclined so I help them with a lot of jeep things. They call me his "jeep daddy". I try like heck to get him interested in learning about that jeep and figuring out how his suspension and steering work, things to look for etc. There's zero interest. They ping me to help fix an engine code or whatnot, but there's no desire to learn....just have it fixed. One day, that jeep is going to bite him in the ass hard. He drives like a bat outta hell too. I tell my 2 drivers if I ever see them driving like that, they will lose their privilege to drive for quite a while. I just don't think these things are as safe as most people I guess. That may be an unwarranted opinion.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

When my son got his first vehicle, I encouraged him to get a TJ. He actually said that was a good thing. It was such a slow dog that he did not worry about getting speeding tickets. If you get an unmolested, stock Wrangler, I would say it is just as safe as most vehicles out there. Yes, if you start doing things like lifts, bigger tires, etc, that's where you get in trouble and that's why I recommended a stock configuration.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks and another question

Thanks for all the replies. We looked at another one tonight. 2007 X 2-door. It has been the daily driver of a girl who got it at 16 and now has graduated from college. It drives great,, better ride than the stock 2010. The only issue is a fair amount of steering play. No DW, but the wheel will turn back and forth a bit before affecting the turn. Also, you can feel it want to wander and I feel like you have to over correct a little when coming out of a turn.

I know that with larger tires the wear on the steering components is amplified. Replacing tie rod ends, bushings and the steering stabilizer is to be expected. However, are there other steering components ($$$) that might be adding to the play I should think about?

I’m not sure if they replaced the lower control arms or the track bar. Is there an easy way to tell?

I’m not too worried because I have time to work on it before she gets her license.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Advice for buying new (to me) Wrangler