Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Adventure trailer suspension decision

Old 06-14-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adventure trailer suspension decision

Greetings! I have been looking around for an adventure trailer for quite some time now. We have narrowed the list down and are seriously looking at a Base Camp trailer. These are new trailers that are being made by a company that has made off-road, oilfield, construction etc., trailers for a couple decades now.

I have been talking with the guys at The Base Camp Trailer and they have been great to work with as far as planning out a few custom options for the trailer.

www.thebasecamptrailer.com

Their standard trailer comes with a leaf spring suspension, but they have recently offered a new upgrade for about $1500 to the Timbren axle-less suspension. ttp://timbren.com/products-page/2000hd/asr2khds03/

I have experience with the leaf sprung military trailers and recall that if they were not loaded, they would ride fairly rough. The base camp trailer comes with some nice options such as solar panel, electrical system, slide out kitchen, etc. I would hate to spend a lot on a great trailer only to have it beat to death on washboard and rough trails.

We are blessed to live a couple hours from Moab and are close to all the Southwest Colorado jeep trails and great camping. We don't plan to use our adventure trailer to "rock crawl," however we will be taking it over miles and miles of washboard and on some rugged roads from time to time. We will park the trailer close to rock crawling and have fun with just the JKUR from there.

If anyone has any experience with the Timbren axle-less suspension or similar type trailer suspension or experience with a leaf spring trailer suspension, it would be great to hear your thoughts. Also, it would be great to see any pics of your Adventure trailers and their suspensions.

Attached to this thread is a stock photo of a Base Camp trailer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-313983588.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	649762  
Old 06-15-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They must be using torsion bar suspension for the trailer . They work well on pavement but not sure how well they would work off road. Depending on the trails you will be using it on you won't have to worry about get in your axle bar hung up on rocks but it might open the floor of the trailer to damage so make sure it has skid plates
Old 06-16-2016, 02:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the Timbren axle-less suspension on my Runaway and definitely would do it again. 3500 lb rating with 5x5 hubs. Also installed the Lock n roll articulating coupler. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-758837589.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	475.6 KB
ID:	649846 Here's a pic during the install. The 2" square tube ties the two sides together and is welded on the inside and outside. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2589846745.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	649847

Last edited by Tikray; 06-16-2016 at 02:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Adventure trailer suspension decision