Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Add trailer tow after built?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Add trailer tow after built?

I searched but couldn't find a thread on this. If a 2012 was not built with the tow package, does it still have trailer sway and the tranny cooler? I need the tow package, but I'm having problems finding a 2012 with just connectivity and trailer tow.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiveofun
I searched but couldn't find a thread on this. If a 2012 was not built with the tow package, does it still have trailer sway and the tranny cooler? I need the tow package, but I'm having problems finding a 2012 with just connectivity and trailer tow.
You do not get sway control and tranny cooler with the tow pkg. You only get tall gears, tow bar and wiring ( connector).
Old 11-28-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trailer anti sway is part of the ESP/esc program.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

So the tranny cooler is part of the auto trans, not tow package? Can anyone with a 2012 auto Rubi without tow package confirm this?
Old 11-28-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

So the tranny cooler is part of the auto trans, not tow package? Can anyone with a 2012 auto Rubi without tow package confirm this?
Honestly, the dealer had me so confused when I ordered mine (trying to figure out the tow packages parts at that time - preordering) that finally, out of frustration, I ordered every option Jeep had for the 2012 Rubicon. The total dollars for all those small parts was just insignificant relative to the entire purchase. That way, I knew I got it all... and I did.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by f2fast4u
Honestly, the dealer had me so confused when I ordered mine (trying to figure out the tow packages parts at that time - preordering) that finally, out of frustration, I ordered every option Jeep had for the 2012 Rubicon. The total dollars for all those small parts was just insignificant relative to the entire purchase. That way, I knew I got it all... and I did.

Agreed, I did the same thing after realizing that the hitch and wiring would run $100+ and the install would be at least 1 hr. The $100 or so difference was irrelevant. Only thought of regret were related to some aftermarket bumpers that had a prefabbed hitch buit in. At the end it didn't matter because I choose a Bumper that didn't have the prefabbed hitch.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

This was confirmed months ago when ordering started. All autos come with the cooler. No one knows exactly whether jeep's ordered with max tow, or no tow package have the anti sway enabled in the computer or not, and I have not read anyone asking the dealer to enable it either, sorry.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 PM
JK Newbie

I have the Cooler on my Auto, and it is just a Sport... No Tow package...

Ive got a 2500HD Diesel as my tow rig.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2012 Rubicon, auto with no tow package i added a hitch and the wiring for a 1/16 of what the dealer wanted. The trans cooler runs the whole length of the radiator. ill add a trans temp gauge before i tow my boat .
Old 11-29-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also the max tow package came with 3.7 gears. So its more then just the hitch and wiring

Quick Reply: Add trailer tow after built?