Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Add me to the list of people w/ blown 3.8Ls

Old 07-02-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add me to the list of people w/ blown up 3.8Ls

Last week had the jeep in the shop for a really bad initial idle, and I was told it was just b/c of a dry oil filter. (Had them pull the plugs to ensure it wasnt those as well) I was told all is fine, and was made to pay a diagnostic fee.

This week, I went on a 4 hr trip up to New Hampshire and on the way back, if I stopped, the oil light would come on. I stopped, cut the engine, and checked the fluid levels. Everything looked fine, and so long as I was moving, the dummy lights went off. (No rough idle or knock, or any other signs of damage)

Had the jeep towed to the dealership when I got home and I got the bad news... My jeep needs an entirely new bottom end. Good news: I still have a 6/60k miles Maxcare. Bad news: I have 53k miles... 7k miles to prove that they did this right. I cant say I'm entirely confident in the dealership's ability to rebuild any engine.

Ended up openin a case with Chrysler to see what they think of this whole thing. Especially considering it was in the shop right before this happened. I jokingly asked about a Mopar hemi install... shot in the dark, but who knows.

Last edited by gerrynjr; 07-03-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear they are just giving Hemi's away these days. Sort of like when you write to them asking for a real owners manual instead of the cd.

But yeah, dealership engine rebuilds sounds failproof.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

I've heard back from thecase manager... I get to drive a dodge challenger for free for the week... and they are looking into upgrading the warranty to a lifetime max care for free... at least they are trying.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the dealership actually talking about rebuilding the engine or just ordering a "factory rebuilt" to drop in?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gerrynjr
I've heard back from thecase manager... I get to drive a dodge challenger for free for the week... and they are looking into upgrading the warranty to a lifetime max care for free... at least they are trying.
Sounds like you got one of the few decent dealerships out there. If I'm in the NE and need something done, I'm heading there.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gerrynjr
Nice....better than most.
Good luck and enjoy that Challenger....sweet ride!!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Delux2769
Sounds like you got one of the few decent dealerships out there. If I'm in the NE and need something done, I'm heading there.
The dealer has nothing to do with it. After the Jeep was dropped off and I picked up a rental elsewhere (dealer refused to give me one) I called up corporate. Corporate is the one that being awesome about things.

As for the engine, they are putting in a brand new short block/oil pump/timing assembly and reusing everything else. I still have my doubts about longevity, but with a lifetime bumper to bumper, if she dies again, I just get to say "I told you so." Corporate also said that if it does within a year, which it shouldn't, there will be "other available options."

Interpret that quote however you'd like.

And yes, the challenger is a good change of pace for the week... wouldn't want to own one with our winters, but it's still awesome.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Just figured id post an update, just got the jeep back today. Engine feels like it is running much rougher. Compared it to my dad's jeep, which also has a 3.8 but with 30k instead of 53k, the engine looks like it is going to shake itself to pieces. (Using the dipstick as an indicator of vibration) If you turn on the AC, you feel a shudder and even more vibration. Going to talk to the rep about this.

Another downside is that since it's older than 48 months, they are refusing to extend the warranty... cant say I'm too happy with this...

Quick Reply: Add me to the list of people w/ blown 3.8Ls