Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

ACE Products Quality?

Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few pics of their new weld on version. This comes powder coated and all supports have four gussets. As you can see it is tight and angled up to the vehicle. It is made of 2" dia .134 wall tubing. This is a option where the bolt on rails are not enough. Now they have three option or levels

1. bolt on rail that works well but functions as a step also

2. pre built weld on version ready to be welded in place

3. builders kit where you can adjust rotation and distance to the body for specific style needed

The new weld-on version that is ready to weld seems like the answer if the bolt on is not enough

Click image for larger version

Name:	Weld-on1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	357259Click image for larger version

Name:	weld-on2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	357260
Old 08-23-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jctnt1
Ace product quality?
Ace is a local manufacturer and probably gets many local folks juiced up because they are local and support local jeep owners and trail events.
I have seen the plant and the products. I do not own any and have always been concerned with the large gap designed in between the rocker area pinch seam and the ACE tube. It does flex upward and I have seen dented rocker seams when ran without a stock rubi rail. It seems everyone just asserts a stock rubi rail is needed, but why would it be "designed" as such?
Quality? The production plant, the finished product and the warranty would suggest to me good quality "for the price", but I am still second guessing the functionality in the bolt on set up.
Now I am very interested in a version of their weld ons that incorporated a 4th support tube, 4 gussets at each weld location and tucked up much higher to fit right to the bottom of the rocker seam. That set is on it's way right now for a week long CO and Moab run. I will be asking lots of question as to how they held up. Nothing like real world testing "new" products.
Nice info!!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silversurfer09
Here are a few pics of their new weld on version. This comes powder coated and all supports have four gussets. As you can see it is tight and angled up to the vehicle. It is made of 2" dia .134 wall tubing. This is a option where the bolt on rails are not enough. Now they have three option or levels

1. bolt on rail that works well but functions as a step also

2. pre built weld on version ready to be welded in place

3. builders kit where you can adjust rotation and distance to the body for specific style needed

The new weld-on version that is ready to weld seems like the answer if the bolt on is not enough

Attachment 357259Attachment 357260
I wish I had the ACE option back in 2008. Would have been a great price point, but my Shrock's have been awesome to date.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jctnt1
Ace product quality?
Ace is a local manufacturer and probably gets many local folks juiced up because they are local and support local jeep owners and trail events.
I have seen the plant and the products. I do not own any and have always been concerned with the large gap designed in between the rocker area pinch seam and the ACE tube. It does flex upward and I have seen dented rocker seams when ran without a stock rubi rail. It seems everyone just asserts a stock rubi rail is needed, but why would it be "designed" as such?
Quality? The production plant, the finished product and the warranty would suggest to me good quality "for the price", but I am still second guessing the functionality in the bolt on set up.
Now I am very interested in a version of their weld ons that incorporated a 4th support tube, 4 gussets at each weld location and tucked up much higher to fit right to the bottom of the rocker seam. That set is on it's way right now for a week long CO and Moab run. I will be asking lots of question as to how they held up. Nothing like real world testing "new" products.
So from what you said about the bolt on sliders, I could assume that they should not be used as a lift point for a hilift?

I have been thinking of buying some weld on sliders designed for toyota tacos but consideted the ACE bolt on as an alternative.... I guess it is weld on all the way.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

WHAT A LET DOWN! I started this thread yesterday at work and couldn't wait to finish it today... I get to work and find that WOL and KeithVegas are now friends and planning a run in Vegas and that we are back on track re: ACE quality... How sad

Oh well, thanks for the entertainment and LONG LIVE ACE.... er... LONG LIVE EVO... er.... LONG LIVE... I'll just stop now..
Old 08-24-2012, 01:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-UTE
WHAT A LET DOWN! I started this thread yesterday at work and couldn't wait to finish it today... I get to work and find that WOL and KeithVegas are now friends and planning a run in Vegas and that we are back on track re: ACE quality... How sad

Oh well, thanks for the entertainment and LONG LIVE ACE.... er... LONG LIVE EVO... er.... LONG LIVE... I'll just stop now..
sorry to disappoint you. all the angry kids who were having a tantrum decided to quit.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-UTE

It has nothing to do with ACE quality. The sliders are bolted on with a relatively flimsy attachment point. What does anyone expect? The sliders are perfectly adequate for rock crawling. Just use them with rubi rails.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes we know. Rubi rails and ace sliders are good.....me thinks that's been said many times on this thread. Personally, I'd rather get the Evo sliders.....they'd be about the same if I were to get rubi rails and ace sliders....
Old 08-26-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by J.cyr8
Yes we know....
Now that is funny! You have been an excellent Original Poster dealing with all of us clowns
Old 08-26-2012, 06:16 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

oh boy!! just when i thought this thread was over and done with

let's see...

Originally Posted by Ryanc
It has nothing to do with ACE quality. The sliders are bolted on with a relatively flimsy attachment point. What does anyone expect?
fair enough, this may have nothing to do with "ace quality" per se, just "ace engineering". after all, it is they who thought it would be a good idea to design their sliders to be bolted onto "relatively flimsy attachment points". of course, had they done their homework, they would have known that other companies had tried doing this years ago and have long since changed their designs and for that very reason. but, i will say that you are at least a reasonable person who seems to be willing to look at things reasonably.

The sliders are perfectly adequate for rock crawling. Just use them with rubi rails.
if you're in need of a step or just want a little something more to push your jeep away from obstacles, yes, they are most likely adequate for rock crawling when used in conjunction to rubi rails. of course, i have always found my rubi rails to be surprisingly tough all by themselves and, if it were me, i would personally prefer to save my money and just run them as is. but of course, that's just me.

Originally Posted by GCM 2
Now that is funny! You have been an excellent Original Poster dealing with all of us clowns
hmmm, how do we know for sure that he didn't just start all this for his own personal amusement?

Quick Reply: ACE Products Quality?