Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Accident with a Smart Car

Old 11-04-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bueller
Not true. The at fault party's insurance company owes for all damages related to the loss. Doesn't matter whether they are discovered immediately or later in the repair process. There are limitations to this that vary by state, but for example an insurance company can't just write you a $500 check because that's all the damage they can see in the initial inspection, and then tell you to stick it in your rear when you find out the frame was bent.

You can guess what I now do for a living!
Every insurance company I've dealt with makes you sign a disclaimer when they give you money for a claim that frees them from giving you more money. That's why you never sign anything until you get it properly looked at.

I am glad that maybe your company helps you out like that but others should definately be wary.

However, I will change my statement, "Make sure you don't sign anything to accept money unless you're sure there's no other damage or that whatever you are signing doesn't exempt them from further payment."
Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout
x2 on this....

x3...I would love to park on top of one!!! I hate those ugly little cars!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

My wife got hit in the front bumper and it just popped the corner in an left a white mark, got a 415$ check for a plastic bumper cover and am now putting an orfab stubby on mine and giving her my stock one
Old 11-04-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I park next to a Smart Car at work. I swear I could fold down my seats and put it in the trunk......
Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hate the Prius. Seems like folks that drive those have nothing better to do than drive real slow to save the environment. People need to wake up and realize the battery packs in those things are worse for the environment than good ole fossil fuels. Get outta my way! Gas guzzler coming through!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like a new "improved" bumper will be on the way.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bueller
Not true. The at fault party's insurance company owes for all damages related to the loss. Doesn't matter whether they are discovered immediately or later in the repair process. There are limitations to this that vary by state, but for example an insurance company can't just write you a $500 check because that's all the damage they can see in the initial inspection, and then tell you to stick it in your rear when you find out the frame was bent.

You can guess what I now do for a living!
Here in CA they make you sign a waiver to future claims as part of closing out the settlement. You cash the check and you have no further claims where I live. I was hit in my TJ and that was how it worked. So I took mine to a lifetime guarantee body shop. If the paint ever mismatches they will repaint for free. Of course the other guys insurance covered that more expensive shop.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Smart car quick story...

As I was leaving a happy hour meetup one night, I saw a smart car (parked in the spot right in front of the door, which was awesome) accidentally pull *forward* instead of reverse... he ended up jumping the parking block and getting his vehicle stuck ontop of it.. like a see-saw. It was hilarious.

Needless to say, I think a few guys lifted it back over the parking block, but that guy looked like a fool. It was amazing.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BrettDez
Make sure to get it checked out. If you accept a check and there was hidden damage you don't know about, there's no more money comming because you accepted a check.

Even a little smart car could cause some serious damage depending on the collision. So only jump onto the accepting a check idea if you're certain nothing else potentially much more expensive is wrong.
I believe there's fine print that says you are entitled to reappraisal of unseen damages even after you cash the check. I'll check tomorrow because I had that happen to my last car. I got 1300 from their insurance and the repair was 600 at the shop around the corner.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by notsoricer
I believe there's fine print that says you are entitled to reappraisal of unseen damages even after you cash the check. I'll check tomorrow because I had that happen to my last car. I got 1300 from their insurance and the repair was 600 at the shop around the corner.
I think he might be good....been a couple months

Quick Reply: Accident with a Smart Car