Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Accident

Old 03-26-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident... Hope the other guy's insurance takes care of damage to both vehicles [your Jeep and the Explorer].

I thought from the legal standpoint, you have to keep a minimum of 5' between vehicles . That said, depending on how big a vehicle rear ends you and the speed at which it does so, it's not unlikely to be pushed into the vehicle in front of you, even if you kept a safe distance. Most people won't have the knee-jerk reaction to try and slam on the brakes when you unexpectedly get rammed from behind while parked. If you get a ticket for that, I'm pretty positive you can fight that in court. Way I see it, if the other person didn't rear end you, you wouldn't have damaged the vehicle in front of you to begin with.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Sorry to hear about your accident but make it work in your favour and call up your insurance and ask if your can have some after market bumpers instead of the cheapo plastic one. I did this with my factory side steps when I had my accident and now I got a set of LoD sliders instead. Give them a whole song and dance on how your Jeep will be less prone to being damaged in case of future accidents and remind them that they'll be saving some money from not having to pay a shop to remove and install (seeing that you do the install yourself).
Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's some pix:

I hope it's not totaled. I'm worried that the frame is bent seeing how the tow hitch is skewed. More pix to follow...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smbundy13
whew, good thing you werent in texas because you would be liable for damage to the explorer in front of you.
According to my insurance and the woman's insurance in the explorer, the guy that hit me with the truck is at fault for all. Both insurance will be sending his insurance co the bill.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smbundy13
whew, good thing you werent in texas because you would be liable for damage to the explorer in front of you.

(i am not sure about the laws in maryland so it could be the same)

sucks you got hit, glad your ok.
thats not how it works here. it may be possible that the middle person will receive a ticket for being too close(highly unlikely) but the fault of the accident will be placed on the one who started the accident.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

More Pix

Notice on this one how the intersection of the hood, grill, and right corner panel no longer line up:

Old 03-27-2010, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jedi Knight
Well it happened. Last night I was driving home and I got rear ended by an F-Series truck. The impact pushed me into the Ford Explorer in front of me. The jeep is pretty banged up. Damage to both front and rear, impact broke my drivers seat, ESP is freaking out, steering wheel doesn't match tire position. After all of that I was able to drive myself to the ER and then home later. I picked the wrong time to quit smoking.
looks like 95 maybe 270?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Clubcar
looks like 95 maybe 270?
Close. It was on 695.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're ok Jedi Knight. Keep resisting the smoking urges. It gets better, it just seems like it takes a while!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

695 accident alley. I hate driving on it. I knew right where it was as soon as I seen the pics. I am glad your ok. The jeep should be ok as long as like you said the frame is not tweaked.

Quick Reply: Accident