Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

About Soft-top storage - New Jeep Owner.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About Soft-top storage - New Jeep Owner.

Hi there,

Just bought myself a slightly used 2010 Sport. I've always wanted one and finally the timing was right and I couldn't be happier.

It's a 2-door with both Hard and Soft tops. It's in like-new condition, but it didn't come with many extras. There are a few things I feel are must-haves but I wanted to run a few questions by some experienced Jeep owners. I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

First is storage for the Soft-top. My only complaint to the dealer I bought this from (and almost kept me from buying the Jeep) was how poorly stored the soft-top windows were. They were just kinda crumpled in the back seat, not even folded nicely. The first thing I did when I brought it home was lay out the windows on a bed to straighten out in the warmth. This is where they will stay until I get a good vinyl cleaner/protector and a proper winter storage solution. I'm assuming the Soft-top is after market Bestop since it had a Bestop sticker on it. I'm looking at the "Bestop HOSS Jeep Window Storage Duffels 42810-09" for the windows. Thoughts?

Then the soft top itself. I want to completely remove the softtop for winter, but I've only seen protection for it while it's just down and still on the Jeep. Does anyone make a snap/zip-on sleeve for the top that wraps completely around it so it can be used to protect it both on and off? I've never seen pictures of a product like this being used detached. What are you guys using for winter soft top storage?

Other accessories I'm considering and would love feedback on if you have the time...

Mopar Freedom Top Storage Bag

Mopar Molded Running Boards

Daystar KJ71020 Upper Dash Panel

Rugged Ridge 11580-10 Rear Hitch

Bestop 42637-01 Insta-trunk (I will have video/photo equipment with me a lot for my job)

If anyone has any other recommendations for accessories, I'd love to hear them. I don't plan on doing serious off-roading just yet, so I won't need extra protection or recovery stuff for a while.

Thanks. I'm so happy to join the club!

Scott

PS - I had links to Amazon for the actual items I was considering, but after reading the rules about links and Sponsors wasn't sure if that was allowed.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a couple ideas for you. I have a soft top boot for when its on the Jeep. It wraps around the folded soft top and zips up to make everything nice and clean. Well, it turns out that I hate putting it on every time I plan on having the top down for more than a few days at a time. So, I use it as a storage bag in the winter. It almost completely covers all the canvas from the top and keeps it contained.
Second idea is the side windows. I clip both of my side windows together with one of those straight clothes hangers with the clip on them and hang them in my garage. If you wanted you could put a garbage bag aroung them to keep them a little safer. Also, I have used the bags that folding camp chairs come in to roll the windows up and keep in the Jeep. I prefer to store them flat, so I don't keep them in that bag all winter. Just some thoughts.

Last edited by Orangeav; 12-09-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

A roll for the soft top windows is nice, but not a requirment. I just use an old towel or blanket when I roll them up for the winter. Since they are not moving around in storage, you do not have to worry about scratching. I got some straps from an outdoor store to keep them wraped up.

I also use some straps to hold the soft top together when in storage. It does not need a cover for winter storage, since it experiences much worse conditions on your Jeep than it will in your basement or the garage (provided you are not moving it around all the time). Make sure you clean it before you store it.

Your list of options sounds like a good start. You can always link to one of the sponsor retailers if you really need to show people what you are thinking about. Quadratech and Northridge are often a good place to start.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ft+top+storage
Check this thread out.....hope it helps. Lots of forum members have come up with some inovative ideas on how to store both the hard top and soft top.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:02 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome, thanks guys.

Orangeav, you say your boot zips all the way around? Which boot do you have if you don't mind me asking. I agree with you about storing them flat over the winter, so I'm just going to put them under the bed they are on right now until spring.

Quick Reply: About Soft-top storage - New Jeep Owner.