Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

About to make 2010 purchase - hard time locating specific

Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy About to make 2010 purchase - hard time locating specific

So here is the deal. I know the 2010s are limited but my local dealership said the Jeep I am looking for is in another lot they would have to trade for then ship or drive it here locally. To me this seems like a lot of work. As of right now I want to see the model and test drive it exactly how i want it. Before you ask, "why cant you drive one similar" its just how I am. Its hard finding a Black Rubicon Unlimited with Khaki Leather but there is one within 100 miles of here so the dealer says. So how can one locate this specific model? None of the Jeep dealers want to tell me where it is. I can understand that because they want the sale for themselves, but I just want to do a drive by and look at it on my own time.

Does anyone have one they can take pics of the inside for me? Anyone in San Diego I can met up with to check it out in person?

For a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited they are still asking 36k. I am surprised they haven't marked them down since you can already order a 2011. My guess is there is still demand for them and possibly more demand once people see the 2011's.

Cheers!

Rob

Last edited by JKJ33PJK; 07-20-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: sp correction
Old 07-20-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most Jeep dealers have their inventories posted online. It is kind of tedious, but if you use the "Find a Dealer" thing on the Jeep website, you can find all the different Jeep dealers out there. Then if you go to the specific dealer websites and look under the "vehicles" menu of the website and go to "new inventory" then you can see every vehicle that each dealership has in stock. Some of the dealer websites are different, but 99% of them have their new vehicle inventory posted and up to date. It took me almost a full day of searching when I bought mine but like you I knew exactly what I wanted and I eventually found it about 200 miles away. I then found one that was the same but different color more locally, test drove that, and after that I had my local dealer do a trade.

To search at all the dealerships just use goggle to find zip codes of cities within your search area and use a wide distance from that zip code and you should be able to find what you are looking for. I had to find mine at the end of the model year in 08 and still managed to find a very specific model.

Edit: My wife added after I posted that some dealers don't like to share. We went through a similar thing for her new car about 2 weeks ago, she had a VERY specific vehicle she wanted and there was literally only 1 like it within our 200 mile search radius. We had a local dealer that we were working with and we tried to get the other dealer to trade with our local one for our convenience (and because we had been working with them a while on this). They flatly refused so we ended up driving the 200 miles to buy it.

Good luck!

Last edited by tpm152; 07-20-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKJ33PJK
So here is the deal. I know the 2010s are limited but my local dealership said the Jeep I am looking for is in another lot they would have to trade for then ship or drive it here locally. To me this seems like a lot of work. As of right now I want to see the model and test drive it exactly how i want it. Before you ask, "why cant you drive one similar" its just how I am. Its hard finding a Black Rubicon Unlimited with Khaki Leather but there is one within 100 miles of here so the dealer says. So how can one locate this specific model? None of the Jeep dealers want to tell me where it is. I can understand that because they want the sale for themselves, but I just want to do a drive by and look at it on my own time.

Does anyone have one they can take pics of the inside for me? Anyone in San Diego I can met up with to check it out in person?

For a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited they are still asking 36k. I am surprised they haven't marked them down since you can already order a 2011. My guess is there is still demand for them and possibly more demand once people see the 2011's.

Cheers!

Rob
Agreed with the poster above... use the jeep.com search locator.

...but FWIW, with the 2011's already avail for order, why not just put your order in?

It's easy to find a JK in black with a khaki top, you may just have to improvise the look on a Sahara or Sport, and then just drive a non-kahki black rubi to confirm the ride.

Be creative, but either way I would consider a 2011 tailored to me, this late in the game.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dude... this late in the game... wait a few more months for the 2011's to flood in and you can enjoy all the new changes they are making to the interior, which from a forum member who has seen it already is said to be substantially different. Plus the 2011 marks the 70th anniv.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys. I I'll look deeper into the dealers web pages tomorrow. I checked all in San Diego dealers and couldn't find anywhere where the listed the interior leather color.

Wranglerioe, are u saying u have seen the inside of the 2011? I do agree with u to wait for 2011s. If the photos I have seen on here to look more like the European front end I don't think it looks to good.

Also if they are still selling the 2010s for 36k I wonder what the 2011 will go for? 40k? That would suck :(
Old 07-21-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKJ33PJK
Thanks guys. I I'll look deeper into the dealers web pages tomorrow. I checked all in San Diego dealers and couldn't find anywhere where the listed the interior leather color.

Wranglerioe, are u saying u have seen the inside of the 2011? I do agree with u to wait for 2011s. If the photos I have seen on here to look more like the European front end I don't think it looks to good.

Also if they are still selling the 2010s for 36k I wonder what the 2011 will go for? 40k? That would suck :(
I agree with the fellas above about using the dealer search on the Jeep.com website. If you want it bad enough, you will put in the leg work. I would also say, dont be afraid to travel to get your jeep. I just bought mine last month and worked a deal for almost 2 months with dealers in Utah, Arizona, Nebraska and here in Colorado till I found what I wanted. Luckily I ended up taking one that was 15 minutes away from my house after showing them what I could get outta state. In my opinion, the amount saved on a good deal, is WELL worth the 1 way ticket on an airplane. Plus you could really get a chance to bond with your Jeep.

At any rate, if you look hard enough, you should be able to find what you want. But please consider the fact that you want something specific and if dealers smell blood, they are going to pin you for it. May want to consider starting with "I dont really care what color, I just want the Rubicon".

I was able to work a REALLY damn good deal by doing this, and ended up with EXACTLY what I wanted.

Anyhow, this is all part of the fun. Embrace it, and know that soon, you will be in a new Jeep. . . . .
Old 07-21-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKChandler
I agree with the fellas above about using the dealer search on the Jeep.com website. If you want it bad enough, you will put in the leg work. I would also say, dont be afraid to travel to get your jeep. I just bought mine last month and worked a deal for almost 2 months with dealers in Utah, Arizona, Nebraska and here in Colorado till I found what I wanted. Luckily I ended up taking one that was 15 minutes away from my house after showing them what I could get outta state. In my opinion, the amount saved on a good deal, is WELL worth the 1 way ticket on an airplane. Plus you could really get a chance to bond with your Jeep.

At any rate, if you look hard enough, you should be able to find what you want. But please consider the fact that you want something specific and if dealers smell blood, they are going to pin you for it. May want to consider starting with "I dont really care what color, I just want the Rubicon".

I was able to work a REALLY damn good deal by doing this, and ended up with EXACTLY what I wanted.

Anyhow, this is all part of the fun. Embrace it, and know that soon, you will be in a new Jeep. . . . .
If a dealer wants the sale bad enough, they will make it work.

When I bought mine I had two dealers working on it. One acted as if the Jeep he had on his lot was made of unicorn tears, and all he wanted to do was play car dealer games.

Dealer number two was willing to trade with another dealer on a Jeep two states away. They were willing to work for 'me'. I bought my Jeep from them.

The OP is in a unique spot, as current inventory is limited, and a Rubi in a limited color setup makes it even harder.

If I was the OP I would just wait for the 2011 options/prices to hit the street and order one. Worse case if a 2010 one is still out there then, a dealer will be really anxious to move it.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

If you want a screaming deal, they should be coming at least $4000 off MSRP for 2010 Rubicons pretty soon. The 2011's will be a lot tighter, and i bet they dont go any lower than $2000 off MRSP if that.. At least until the 2011's are 6-9 months old.

I myself do plan to get a 4 door again coming maybe Dec/January timeframe. I have not decided on 2010 or 2011 yet. It is between my 2 favorite cars, as i have had many of each. Wrangler vs GTI, both 4 door. The thing that kills the GTI for me is the stereo. I love my music, dont like messing with oem, and i want a nice stereo. The Wrangler 7 speaker stereo blows the GTI's out of the water.

Last edited by plac; 07-21-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

If you want a screaming deal, they should be coming at least $4000 off MSRP for 2010 Rubicons pretty soon. The local 2010 Rubi's in my town all MSRP between $35,000-$36,500.. The 2011's will be a lot tighter, and i bet they dont go any lower than $2000 off MRSP if that.. At least until the 2011's are 6-9 months old.

Quick Reply: About to make 2010 purchase - hard time locating specific