Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

About to be a Dad! Do I need a 4 door?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I have a 10 month old son with a car seat in the rear, a 13 yo son, a wife and 2 labs 80 and 85lbs. I don't see any other SUV type vehicles that have anymore room or practicality than my 4 door JKU has. We have no problems. Really though...you're looking at a Mini-Van if you want to get anything more practical for the family.....and that will definitely make you miserable having to sacrifice your manhood like that.

For those times when we need additional room for hauling junk like coolers and camping gear. That's when the rear cargo basket gets put on.

A 4 door JKU will be fine for you and your family. You could make due with a 2 dr, but there will be many times you wish you had the room of the 4 door and not have to push the front seats out of the way to get something in the back.

Just think of yourself holding a wiggling and crying baby in 1 arm, a diaper bag full of blankets, bottles, diapers, and butt cream in the other arm, a bottle in your hand trying to feed the crying baby, you'rw juggling the car keys in the other hand, trying to unlock and open the doors, where all at the same time your wife is screaming at you from the stress of the moment that you're running late to where ever it is you're going and while you're trying to balance all that, you now have to try to push that front seat forward to buckle your baby into the rear baby seat, where that huge diaper bag you got hanging from your arm keeps bumping into the door jam and pushing you back out of the vehicle away from the task in front of you. The LAST thing you want to deal with at that moment is to try to move that front seat up, leaning up against it to stop it from folding back while you're trying to not drop the baby, just so you can squeeze into a tight working area to buckle the baby into the rear baby seat. Now if this is your 1st baby...you may think I'm exaggerating somewhat with this scenario....but trust me, what I just described is pretty much the norm and not that extraordinary when you have a baby. I thank God every time I have run into that scenario with my 10 month old and realize how much worse this could all be if I had to deal with the tight squeezed space of the 2 door at the same time.

So to answer your questions...YES YOU NEED THE 4 DOOR if you want to keep your sanity and NO, you DON'T need some other SUV. The 4 Door Wrangler is already the Ultimate 4WD SUV.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-26-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Also, I forgot to mention......

I found that when your baby gets to be about 8 months old. That's about the right age to let your baby start driving your Jeep for the 1st times, so the Jeep way of life gets into their blood from the early stages.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-26-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! My wife and I had our first child in January. We discussed ahead of time and I purchased a JKU last summer. Best decision I could have made!

I don't see how it would be possible to get into and out of the back seat to get the car seat into the base. Also, the extra room in the back is great for the stroller, diaper bag, my gear and all the crap we buy every time we go to a store.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:09 AM
JK Super Freak

I would say Definately. You can lift your JKU and set it up, in my opinion, just as good as a 2 door. In alot of instances I personally feel the 4 door is more stable. But when it comes to dealing with a family, it is perfect. My boys love it. Plenty of room for them, plus gear for football, lacrosse, mountain biking, running motocross, it dos it all plus carrying everyone comfortably.
Congratulations on the soon to be new addition...the baby that is...lol!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I say go for it. I love my JKU and so does my 5 year old. My wife is pregnant and due in December and I'm glad that the JKU will easily fit both the new baby seat and my sons booster with ease. My son has a little trouble climbing in sometimes with the lift and tires but what are you gonna do. The two door would be fine, I know plenty of people who do and have gone that route, but I say if there's a four door option to the vehicle you love then save some stress and frustration in your life.

Besides... If you get a new Jeep just think of the cool stuff you get to do to it.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Also, I forgot to mention......

I found that when your baby gets to be about 8 months old. That's about the right age to let your baby start driving your Jeep for the 1st times, so the Jeep way of life gets into their blood from the early stages.

Then when they get a little older they can drive their siblings around too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00426_SMALL.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	371250

I have 08 JKU and it is my DD so I need to haul kids(16 YO, 13YO, 8YO) or crap all the time. The JKU has a usable and accessible back seat plus tons of room in the back. The thing is still awesome off-road. When speaking of SUV's you might as well get a minivan. My wife's Grand Caravan has more room than any SUV, its easier to get in/out of, and that Pentastar is great on fuel.

I say if you don't keep your JK just move up to a JKU!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

First congrats! Second I would strongly recommend moving to a 4 door.

I had a 2 door and it was next to impossible to carry anything when my kids were with me. Food shopping alone was ridiculous. I had some stuff shoved into the little back trunk area and the rest would go on the front seat and floor in the front. I cant imagine trying to get a new born in and out of the car seat plus all the things you need to carry with you.

Needless to say had the 2 door for about 6 months and traded it for a 4 door.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Congrats man! Kids are like jeeps:

JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET!!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a perfect time to trade up to a pentastar to me.

I've got a 2012 JKU Rubi with a 2.5 inch lift and 35s as my DD. My 2 yr old daughter loves it, and anytime we go out, she always makes us take 'daddy's jeep'. And she wants the windows down. (I'm working on some trail doors)

I've had 2 door jeeps and you would be okay with a child seat in the back, but it's way easier with the 4 door. Right now I have the seat in middle so she can see out in between the front seats, but if you put it over to the side, you can still fold down the other part and have lots of storage, room for dogs, etc.

Right now with the seat in the middle, there is room for an adult on either side for trips around town and plenty of room in the cargo area for the stroller, diaper bags, cooler, whatever.

A child is no reason to get rid of a Jeep. In fact, that's the main reason we have a 4 door model now.

Congrats!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

4 Door 4 Door 4 Door a must with kids. It will save your back too. Not to mention the added space for the stroller. But the best part is with the top and doors off the 4 door looks better.

Quick Reply: About to be a Dad! Do I need a 4 door?