Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

6speed rattle

Old 09-02-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 2 rattling noises in mine. The first was the plastic clear piece on top that shows the shift pattern. Dealer swapped that out. The second was inside and underneath the shift boot. My upper boot was cracked and they also replaced that at the dealer. if you want pull open the shift boot and the first plastic piece on the shift stick is your uppr boot it should not have a crack.

oh and my stick jumps all over the place when im wheeling. im sure its normal.

goodluck
Old 09-03-2009, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKNIGHT
my shifter itself rattles as soon as i hit rough terrain...i am wondering if by changing the transmission mount to a polyurethane mount will it be more tighter and rattle less...any thoughts on this?my tj 's five speed did not rattle as much ,but we are talking about a whole different breed with the jk...
chances are that if you were to change mounts and other stuff, it would cause more damage, if you force it to stop shaking when offroad, it will cause stress and break something
Old 09-03-2009, 04:38 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the post. Glad its not just mine
Old 09-03-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

I've is bumps so hard that the Gear Shifter was ripped right out of my hand. I have never seen a shifter move as much as the JK's do. I 1957 CJ5's shifter did not dance like that and it rode like a hay wagon!
Old 09-04-2009, 03:53 AM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

A stick shift will move around quite a bit - it's a direct mechanical link to the transmission. Transfer case shifter is mounted to the body and uses a cable linkage so it is isolated from drivetrain movement. Engine/trans/transfer case are all bolted together and isolated from the body/frame by their rubber mounts. The JK drivetrain has a lot of movement due to the type of mounts used, the auto guys just don't see it because the auto shifter is a cable linkage just like the transfer case. Drivetrain torque, body flex, and bumps will all cause a stick shift to dance. The stick in my CJ goes nuts on the washboard roads at the hunting club.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

thanks again for the post.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by yellownotarubi
my question is regarding the my manual six speed rattling and rocking when in bumpy terrain or mud pits. I hear a loud like rattle and the stick jumps back and forth. Anyone know why? Tips?
welcome to the manual jk club
Old 09-06-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default help!!!

how the hell do i make my own post? how do i make one? someone private msm me and tell me!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CJK
A stick shift will move around quite a bit - it's a direct mechanical link to the transmission. Transfer case shifter is mounted to the body and uses a cable linkage so it is isolated from drivetrain movement. Engine/trans/transfer case are all bolted together and isolated from the body/frame by their rubber mounts. The JK drivetrain has a lot of movement due to the type of mounts used, the auto guys just don't see it because the auto shifter is a cable linkage just like the transfer case. Drivetrain torque, body flex, and bumps will all cause a stick shift to dance. The stick in my CJ goes nuts on the washboard roads at the hunting club.
These transmissions dont move at all compared to my old 67 bronco that I used to plow snow with. When that had wheel hop the transmission really moved around.

Remember as stated above the trans and engine are isolated from the frame and body by rubber mounts and they move around from torque load and acclerations from movement on the road or trail.

Remember f=ma and you can do the the math to figure out what the displacement is for any accleration.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
welcome to the manual jk club
Hehehehe, my shifter rattles and jumps around just driving down our crappy city streets! If it makes you feel any better, my two other cars both have manuals and they do the same thing.

This is completely normal.

Quick Reply: 6speed rattle