Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

42rle automatic toast?

Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42rle automatic toast?

Hi folks,

About a year ago I put in a aux trans cooler in my 2011 JK. Has ran great since then, recently though the cooler line wore out/weakened & kinked. Got the hot-oil light while climbing, put it in neutral cooled down, proceeded, went home nothing out of the ordinary from then on.

Checked the trans fluid later, it was super dark, almost black (didn't notice any burnt smell). Took it to the dealer, they found the lines, said they were cheap and wanted to use theirs (original lines came with Mishimoto kit in case anyone is wondering). Before even pulling the pan dealer suggested a $6k rebuild (you can guess how I reacted as it drives fine).

Anyways, dealer fixed the hose, changed filter/fluid said there were "fine metal shavings" in the pan, along with "a lot" of clutch material (didn't get a picture even though I asked). Their write up said they think the OD gears will fail but that it drives fine "at this time". I am new to the area I live in, and was kind of let down with this dealerships service (I had a great experience in my previous state). Jeep drives fine, I will probably change the fluid again. What is odd is that now I have noticed a burnt smell after getting it back (tech even said it didn't smell burnt to him so idk).

My point here is, how how badly are my days numbered with this? Wondering if I should just go get a re-manufactured transmission installed instead of waiting for it to fail. Worried it will break down on me in the woods or something.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

How long? Your guess is probably as good as anyone elses. I wouldn't be too worried about breaking down in the middle of nowhere. Usually when they start to fail they just won't shift into a particular gear and/or slip....like the dealer said, they suspect the O/D gear which may be the likely scenario of the slip/not shifting scenario when it does start to fail.

Quick Reply: 42rle automatic toast?