Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

4.10 Gears?

Old 10-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Got a call from the dealer today. Said they can only replaced the ENTIRE differentials to 4:10 gears and can not just do the gears by itself. Said it would cost a few grand. Needless to say, I passed on it.
Are you going to look at an offroad shop or anything, or are you just going to live with the 3.21 gears?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I updated the unti via the internet. However when I measured my tires based on their calculations of moving the tire one full rotation then dividing by pie it came to 30.87 inches...I thought I had 32 inch tires?

Also when I went to enter the tire size they only had 30.75 and 31 so I rounded up and went with 31.

I only drove it for five minutes but it seems to shift a lot better now (auto) and does not engage overdrive as easily. I am still having the issue of it locking up at 1500 rpms but it did not require full throttle to get it out and only happened once on my test drive.

I guess I will really see on my way to work tomorrow.

I used the regular setting on the programmer however as I was driving my mileage dropped from 17.2 to 16.9? Could be because I turned the heater on at that point?

Overall though pleased at how much smoother it shifts, but only time will tell..

I just don't understand why it is still locking up at 1500 RPMs. It only seems to happen after it is coming down, decelerating and ithe tach needle settles on 1500RPMs, then when I go to give it gas it bogs down and won't go past 1500RPMs until I give it alot more gas.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a call from the dealer today. Said they can only replaced the ENTIRE differentials to 4:10 gears and can not just do the gears by itself. Said it would cost a few grand. Needless to say, I passed on it.
Sometimes it's good to know your limitations. The service manager knows he doesn't have a single solitary mechanic cable of doing the job without comebacks. The secret to gears is to have a shop that does a lot of them do it. That's a dedicated 4x4 shop or driveline specialty shop.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I updated the unti via the internet. However when I measured my tires based on their calculations of moving the tire one full rotation then dividing by pie it came to 30.87 inches...I thought I had 32 inch tires?

Also when I went to enter the tire size they only had 30.75 and 31 so I rounded up and went with 31.

I only drove it for five minutes but it seems to shift a lot better now (auto) and does not engage overdrive as easily. I am still having the issue of it locking up at 1500 rpms but it did not require full throttle to get it out and only happened once on my test drive.

I guess I will really see on my way to work tomorrow.

I used the regular setting on the programmer however as I was driving my mileage dropped from 17.2 to 16.9? Could be because I turned the heater on at that point?

Overall though pleased at how much smoother it shifts, but only time will tell..

I just don't understand why it is still locking up at 1500 RPMs. It only seems to happen after it is coming down, decelerating and ithe tach needle settles on 1500RPMs, then when I go to give it gas it bogs down and won't go past 1500RPMs until I give it alot more gas.
The reason your MPG may be slightly different is because you recalibrated the tire size, which would affect that. Your actual MPG may not be any different, just how the computer figures it under the new settings. If anything the computer number should be more accurate. Glad to hear it has given you some improvement.

Last edited by pearl-drum-man; 10-03-2008 at 02:04 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.10 Gears?