Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3rd Brake Light

Old 10-17-2007, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubidonn
Good questions... Actually, all the wire that you see there (except the sheathing) as well as connectors are all factory. They are what is/was there originally. All I did was unplug the third brake light (plug is inside the tailgate accessable from the inside panel near latch) and pulled the wire out (through the grommet on the outside of tailgate) that goes to the third brake light. Then I removed the long horizontal panel on the inside of the tailgate and removed the brake light wire from behind it and removed it all the way back to inside the Jeep near the tailgate hinges (behind the carpet). Then I just re-routed it out of the bottom corner below the tailgate as seen in my picture you've posted above. It basically goes inside the Jeep and the wires lead to behind the carpet near the subwoofer just as the factory wired it... So in essence I just re-routed the wire from being in the tailgate to dropping outside at the bottom of the tailgate as seen in the photo. I can snap some more pictures and e-mail them to you if you like... just PM me w/your e-mail address if you need them.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, I may have had to cut the wire to get it out of the grommit on the outside of the tailgate... but the actual length of the wire is same as stock... hopefully that makes sense...
makes perfect sense! so, no splicing in extra length needed if you just pull it out of the tailgate. thanks!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
I will make it easy for you.
Well he quoted the whole other quote. So how was i to know he was talking about the second line over the first?

But its true most cops are not mechanics or "car guys" Its not like it’s a change that stands out and hits them in the face like a load exhaust or tinted windows.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tennessee state law does not require a center brake light.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Well he quoted the whole other quote. So how was i to know he was talking about the second line over the first?

But its true most cops are not mechanics or "car guys" Its not like it’s a change that stands out and hits them in the face like a load exhaust or tinted windows.
The feds mandated the 3rd brake light be added to all new vehicles in about '86 or '87. Since then all new vehicles have had it. It does not take a mechanic or a "car guy" to know this.

Your individual state laws will regulate if it is required to be maintained and in what way. Texas has the same basic statute. You are required to have at least 2 brake lights on a passenger vehicle, but if you have more they have to be working.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

The feds mandated the 3rd brake light be added to all new vehicles in about '86 or '87. Since then all new vehicles have had it. It does not take a mechanic or a "car guy" to know this.

Your individual state laws will regulate if it is required to be maintained and in what way. Texas has the same basic statute. You are required to have at least 2 brake lights on a passenger vehicle, but if you have more they have to be working.
The feds mandated that Cats have to be on all new vehicles also. So whats your point. There are tons of cars driving around with catless h or x pipes on them and 90% of the cops out there couldnt tell you where a Catalytic converter was on a car.
To make it easy for you here....... Not all cops know what to look for on altered cars or trucks.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Thanks, I didn't know that about cops. I thought that they just wrote tickets and ate doughnuts.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats ok It doesnt seem like you know much.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Obviously you don't either.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Obviously you don't either.
You got me... good come back there buddy.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by twinturbostang
The feds mandated that Cats have to be on all new vehicles also. So whats your point. There are tons of cars driving around catless.
my car has a cat on it....sometimes....

Originally Posted by ROBAR
Thanks, I didn't know that about cops. I thought that they just wrote tickets and ate doughnuts.
it is a well known fact that all cops write tickets and eat donuts. proof:

and i'm still working on my 3rd brake light, so i hope i don't get a ticket for that....or for the cat on my car....

Last edited by mcnaught6; 10-17-2007 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light