Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

37s on a Daily driver??

Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 37s on a Daily driver??

Hey y'all... i just joined this forum and love it. unfortunately i do not own a JK yet but i do have a TJ. I will be going to college next year and my dad is going to but me a new vehicle because i got a full ride . i have narrowed it down to a Rubicon Unlimited on 37s or a Chevy Silverado LTZ on 35s. Honestly i would prefer the Rubi, but i am worried about interstate driving (no fun in my TJ on 31s). i have a 2 and a half hour drive to school. would 37s work with the proper gearing? is it comfortable? would it beat the sh** out of me? thanks for any advice!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

If i had to get 35s i think id rather the truck.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

dd 37s is fine but there are a few things you must consider. lower gears is one thing, a nice lift kit, dana 44s if you plan on wheeling them with the possibility of still breaking, and 400 dollar tires (each) every 2 or 3 years, replacing tie rod ends and ball joints more frequently and a few smaller things.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

the jk has a much nicer ride than the previous jeep models (esp anything that had leaf springs). the type of lift you decide to go with will dictate how comfortable the ride becomes once you're on 37's. there are several great systems out there that can deliver a great on-road feel as well as offering off-road capability. i can't tell you which lift will help more one way or the other, because that mostly depends on your needs and what you're willing to sacrifice. i'm sure plenty of people will chime in with suggestions. you won't be disappointed with the rubi tho. forget the chevy
Old 03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

that doesnt sound bad... i was planning on all of the things you said already. do you have 37s? i am mostly worried about the interstate.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

yes i have 37s and i am moving to 42s, when i do so it will be on a trailer. but also know that you will also have more play in the steering wheel and the jeep will want to wonder a bit.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

yeah the wandering is what i am worried about... this is such a hard desicion
Old 03-16-2009, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wait a minute.

The only factor that's keeping you from deciding between a JK or a pickup is tire size???

I think you need to think about your decision a bit more. They're totally different animals and if the tires are the only thing you care about, then just get an X or a LS single cab Silverado and save the more equipped models for those who will appreciate the entire package.

Sorry, my 2c.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:20 AM
JK Newbie

Im going to go with what was stated above, a jeep and a silverado are way diffrent. If tire size is all you care about then maybe you should just get the truck. It takes a bit of money to run 37's on a jeep PROPERLY. Now if your just gonna drive it on the road 99% of the time then whats the point of getting a jeep anyways?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bryants08jeep
Im going to go with what was stated above, a jeep and a silverado are way diffrent. If tire size is all you care about then maybe you should just get the truck. It takes a bit of money to run 37's on a jeep PROPERLY. Now if your just gonna drive it on the road 99% of the time then whats the point of getting a jeep anyways?
I would say maybe taking the top off. i love taking the top and doors off and forget that in a chevy.

Quick Reply: 37s on a Daily driver??