Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

303 Aerospace UV protectant

Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 303 Aerospace UV protectant

So I got some 303 UV spray after getting in my Smittybuilt seat covers that had a sheet recommending UV treatment with the stuff to prevent fading. The bottle says that it can be used on cloth, plastic, etc... I put some on my fender flares, door handles and bumpers and it looked like Armor-all all nice and shiny. After one day of light showers, half of it came off and now it looks like spotty coverage. The stuff is 8 bucks a bottle and I dont want to keep dumping it on to have any water wash it off. I wanted the protection from greying that you see on sun faded plastic parts. Does anyone know of something that stick better?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used 303 for quite a few years, ever since a tonneau cover company I worked for started recommending it to care for their covers. I have run into the issue that you are describing when I sprayed it too close to an area. I generally try and spray it like I would if I were painting something with a paint gun. Also, I wouldn't recommend going too thick with it either as I have had spots after it got wet. 303 Works really well and it won't dry stuff out like Armorall will, which I'm sure you know will cause cracking. I would recommend cleaning the area first and then try reapplying it.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

I have not tried it on my Wrangler. I do know it works great on my boat.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Junkie

An alternative for the black parts is Turtle Wax Ice, it does a very good job protecting it and is easy to apply. I've used it since day one and have very little fading in the AZ sun and heat, would be none I expect, if I was more consistant using it.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give it another go. I thought I did a good job of misting the surface, but maybe not. I don't think it has been treated in a while and maybe 2 coats is needed.

I think I may have some of that TW Ice in the garage. I'll give that a test on the rear bumper. I used to like black magic on other cars I've owned, for the dash and tires, but that stuff is soooo thick I don't think I want it near the paint.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mothers Back-To-Black

Mothers Back-To-Black is ideal for a variety of exterior hardware. It’s called Back-To-Black, but it works great on all colors of exterior trim. If it’s made of plastic or vinyl Back-To-Black will breath new life into it. Use Back-To-Black on molding, louvers, bumpers, window trim, skirts, seals, door handles, wiper arms and any exterior vinyl or plastic surfaces.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

I've used the 303 protectant. The bottle I had very clearly stresses to wipe off the excess with a dry cloth. Maybe you left too much on? I have not seen the spotting you are talking about. I even did my entire hard top with it.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
Mothers Back-To-Black is ideal for a variety of exterior hardware. It’s called Back-To-Black, but it works great on all colors of exterior trim. If it’s made of plastic or vinyl Back-To-Black will breath new life into it. Use Back-To-Black on molding, louvers, bumpers, window trim, skirts, seals, door handles, wiper arms and any exterior vinyl or plastic surfaces.
I agree back-to-black works great. For now on use armor all protectant on the fenders after washing them they will look excellent.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to get myself a good protectant for the black stuff and the dash and leather. I just picked the JK up today and want to make sure I keep the fenders and such from fading a lot and/or cracking. I'm going to look into the 303, Mothers and Turtle Wax. I haven't used anything much but Black Magic for awhile cause I didn't have anything worth keeping that nice. Although Black Magic did a good job.

I know its a Jeep and is meant to get dirty, but I like to clean it up sometimes and watch it shine. And if I wanted to beat it up I would have gotten an old YJ or TJ and not spent 35k.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

I use the 303 on everything plastic or leather inside and out. It works very well. Just follow the instructions and wipe off the excess. Just enough low level of shine without slipperyness. I bought mine at West Marine. Come in spray as well as preloaded wipes.

Quick Reply: 303 Aerospace UV protectant