Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3000 mile drive ...

Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get in and Go
Old 11-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rubiconjack
as for spare fluids, which would you reccomend extra of. I know its recommended for wheeling, but was told it was never necesary. I like to plan for the uninvited though.
At least a new container of premixed antifreeze, few quarts of oil, and transmission fluid. However, I'd bring everything including brake and power steering fluid. You could also bring some windshield washer fluid, but that is usually cheap at the gas stations.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would agree with all of this if you jeep was over 10 year old and had more than 100k
Old 11-19-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

But my question. I am driving my jeep from Indiana to Washington state its about 2300/2400 miles.

I know I will see snow/sleet/ice/rain/sunshine probably every weather condition as it will be last November when I am driving!

What are recommend things to do for maintenance on a JEEP, before driving that far and hard.

I know oil change of course (needs one right now). Drag link ball joints are going out, was recommend to swap em new. Is that recommend or will that do no harm driving that many freeway miles?

Do I need to do steering adjustments and alignment?

Sorry for all the questions. If I missed anything please feel free to add ...

I am driving alone and I want to do this safely, well as safely as I can. I know get added on AAA ... for sure.

so list feel free to copy and paste and add on!

1. oil change
2. alignment
3. AAA
4. new Drag Link ball joints?
I drove from Chicago to Salt Lake City and wished I had removed the spring in the hood. 18 wheelers passing by created a lot of turbulence that kept popping up the hood an inch or two. Probably not too hazardous, but it was annoying and perhaps reduced gas mileage a bit.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eurojk
I would agree with all of this if you jeep was over 10 year old and had more than 100k
we don't have snow where I live, so I don't know about that, but where I live I would just agree with you, just get going 3000 miles is a lot, but not for a brand new jeep.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSoze
I drove from Chicago to Salt Lake City and wished I had removed the spring in the hood. 18 wheelers passing by created a lot of turbulence that kept popping up the hood an inch or two. Probably not too hazardous, but it was annoying and perhaps reduced gas mileage a bit.
this is probably the most important advice.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

as far as leaving and just going ... well if you drive my jeep for a day you would understand why.

to that Anyone that says just go you wanna come down and drive my jeep for me, your more than welcome too!

... you just unscrew the spring right or is there a special thing you gotta do?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

... you just unscrew the spring right or is there a special thing you gotta do?
Yeah, I think there were two screws.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

I would hope you won't have to do anything to it on the way, but you can take almost the entire jeep apart with 15MM and an 18MM wrenches along with a set of torx wrenches. The one thing I wore out on my last 2500+ mile trip was shock bushings. (although you are OK to drive if they go bad, but it will rattle)

That, and keep the phone # of some buddies along the way.

Quick Reply: 3000 mile drive ...