Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3.8 performance upgrades

Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Here is northern CA I can get a complete MDS 5.7 swap for $11K turnkey but I have a 6-speed Rubicon and will re-use my Tranny and T-case.
I believe the RIPP is about $7K installed (apples to apples here because the Hemi includes install labor too).

I've heard you can get a hemi swap kit for $3500 plus the donor motor if you want to do it yourself.
I think the RIPP is about $5K if you want to do it yourself.

I'm on the fence with which to do only because I have the lifetime powertrain warranty and the RIPP kit would allow me to keep the powertrain.

If no warranty, I'd get the MDS hemi becuase of it's mileage increase, especially on hwy driving.

RIPP could verify my ballpark prices for their item, but the Hemi price was a quote as well as an online kit.
The MDS hemi is nice, but I would be nervous about the stock 6 speed and clutch holding up to it. Perhaps it would be fine. Also, with the crappy aerodynamics a JK has, would the MDS ever kick in?

I also think if you had drive train problems and pulled into a dealer with a RIPP installed, most of them are going to void the heck out of your lifetime powertrain warranty.

For those happy with the 3.8, good for you. I never had a problem with the 3.8 power off-road, especially with the Rubi T-case. But not everyone loves the 3.8 as is, especially with an up-armored 4-door. Maybe, like me, pretty much anything they owned previously was quick.

Some people want the off-road capability and removable roof/doors of a Wrangler but don't want to have to get out binoculars to look and see if they have time to pass a car. That does not mean one has to go about at 100 mph WOT all the time.

And some people are just V-8 lovers, and that is that. A supercharged V-6, even if it has near the same torque curve and HP, will not make them happy.

The aftermarket makes multiple solutions available. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by Yankee; 06-10-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ripp

Depending on your area.
I had the RIPP SC installed out the door for $6,079.00 with the intercooler and they programmed and detailed it for me.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

2010 3.8L
  1. Superchips 91 Tune running 87 Octane
  2. 2.5" aFe Exhaust with resonator
  3. Airaid 4" Intake
  4. Viper Throttle body
  5. Runs great...
Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by soludsnake

I'm yet to do the drive out to Lake Louise and Alberta. Maybe this summer I can see how this deals with the long distance drive.
I drove from Nova Scotia to Alberta about a month ago and my 07 jku saraha did great. It cost around $850 in gas to go roughly 4500 km, and that's with gas being $1.30 -$1.40.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LTZ470
2010 3.8L
  1. Superchips 91 Tune running 87 Octane
  2. 2.5" aFe Exhaust with resonator
  3. Airaid 4" Intake
  4. Viper Throttle body
  5. Runs great...
Does this tune actually add HP or, does it simply increase performance with shiftpoints so overall accelleration is increased?

Quick Reply: 3.8 performance upgrades