Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3.8 performance upgrades

Old 05-27-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have an additional 400 plus pounds with mods and we get severe wind. So far, I've just done the Superchips programmer. I ran the higher octane mode and it was great, but with gas going through the roof, I had to back off to the gas saving mode. I heard a throttle body spacer was a glorified paper weight so I never looked into it.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Highly doubt you would get to the HP/TQ numbers of the new Pentastar (unknown as of yet...) by just bolt ons. However, with a SC or turbo you could be above those numbers (regardless of what those numbers may be). I am currently running an intake and a Dynomax exhaust...not a big difference, but I did it more for a better breathing engine. A performance cal, potentially headers, and regearing are in my future...but don't know when.

Also...you have to take into account that Chrysler is predicting a ~10% increase in fuel economy with the new engine with all this added hp/tq. With a supercharger you get parasitic losses, therefore lower fuel economy (especially if you get on the long, skinny pedal)...I don't care who tells you otherwise. To make more power, you need more fuel...it happens. With a turbo you have less of this problem (only exhaust backpressure added) and when not in boost you could be running like the normal 3.8L, but in boost you will be using more fuel...so...if you care about fuel economy and want to get to the power level of the Pentastar...you should probably just get a Pentastar.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbry311
You mind me asking how much the engine swap is costing you? I've thought about a supercharger or engine swap as well. I figured they'd both be between $3k - $5k.
Last I saw the RIPP was 5k or so, if you install it yourself. Engine swap is quite a bit more. You are probably looking at 18 to 22k if you have the most experienced and popular shops put in a new 5.7 VVT and tranny. Just the kits which include wiring harness, PCM, mounts, radiator, prebent lines, etc run 3 to 5 grand. If you use a low mileage hemi and tranny, buy the kit and DIY it has been done for around 10k. A few are putting in LS engines, which would be pretty great. It is more work though, until someone produces a kit to make it easier.

Either one will void the heck out of your drivetrain warranty, in case you care about that stuff.

Last edited by Yankee; 05-27-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbry311
You mind me asking how much the engine swap is costing you? I've thought about a supercharger or engine swap as well. I figured they'd both be between $3k - $5k.
Originally Posted by RevyJKU08
Performance Chip
Gears (4:88's or 5:13's) depending on your tire size and if your tranny is Auto/Manual
Exhaust
Snorkel

If you have money in the future slap on a Ripp supercharger!
Originally Posted by Yankee
Last I saw the RIPP was 5k or so, if you install it yourself. Engine swap is quite a bit more. You are probably looking at 18 to 22k if you have the most experienced and popular shops put in a new 5.7 VVT and tranny. Just the kits which include wiring harness, PCM, mounts, radiator, prebent lines, etc run 3 to 5 grand. If you use a low mileage hemi and tranny, buy the kit and DIY it has been done for around 10k. A few are putting in LS engines, which would be pretty great. It is more work though, until someone produces a kit to make it easier.

Either one will void the heck out of your drivetrain warranty, in case you care about that stuff.
Our kits start at 4199.95 for the Stage 1

Check out this great video i think you guys would enjoy.

RIPP Supercharged JK vs. Hemi swap jk

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 06-10-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

great vid!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee

Here is northern CA I can get a complete MDS 5.7 swap for $11K turnkey but I have a 6-speed Rubicon and will re-use my Tranny and T-case.
I believe the RIPP is about $7K installed (apples to apples here because the Hemi includes install labor too).

I've heard you can get a hemi swap kit for $3500 plus the donor motor if you want to do it yourself.
I think the RIPP is about $5K if you want to do it yourself.

I'm on the fence with which to do only because I have the lifetime powertrain warranty and the RIPP kit would allow me to keep the powertrain.

If no warranty, I'd get the MDS hemi becuase of it's mileage increase, especially on hwy driving.

RIPP could verify my ballpark prices for their item, but the Hemi price was a quote as well as an online kit.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never really understood the bad rap the 3.8l gets. It's a Jeep Wrangler, not a sports car. I find that it pulls my 2DR just fine. It may not be the quickest thing of the line but with proper gearing its capable of doing its job (off roading) very well.
The following users liked this post:
Jeepin Julez (11-30-2020)
Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by soludsnake
Never really understood the bad rap the 3.8l gets. It's a Jeep Wrangler, not a sports car. I find that it pulls my 2DR just fine. It may not be the quickest thing of the line but with proper gearing its capable of doing its job (off roading) very well.
Im with you. I do just fine on the hiway, and that is going through the mountains.
I have not taken it offroad much, so cannot talk about that (yet).
Old 06-10-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wired
Im with you. I do just fine on the hiway, and that is going through the mountains.
I have not taken it offroad much, so cannot talk about that (yet).
I'm yet to do the drive out to Lake Louise and Alberta. Maybe this summer I can see how this deals with the long distance drive.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Here is northern CA I can get a complete MDS 5.7 swap for $11K turnkey but I have a 6-speed Rubicon and will re-use my Tranny and T-case.
I believe the RIPP is about $7K installed (apples to apples here because the Hemi includes install labor too).

I've heard you can get a hemi swap kit for $3500 plus the donor motor if you want to do it yourself.
I think the RIPP is about $5K if you want to do it yourself.

I'm on the fence with which to do only because I have the lifetime powertrain warranty and the RIPP kit would allow me to keep the powertrain.

If no warranty, I'd get the MDS hemi becuase of it's mileage increase, especially on hwy driving.

RIPP could verify my ballpark prices for their item, but the Hemi price was a quote as well as an online kit.
Well - $4899.95 and you don't drill any holes anywhere - worst or worst case scenario you could always pull the kit off in 2-3hr tops and the dealer would never know - If something should go wrong with the 3.8 - they are very cheap to replace... food for thought.

But many clients, including guys on here have gone to their dealer with the kit installed and they've looked the other way... Jeep knows it sells a aftermarket friendly vehicle - and it knows most of its clients are responsible - and they want to keep you coming back for new Wranglers...

We sell 30-40-/+ kits a month now - and they literally span the globe - We think more people are going RIPP because of its track record, ease of install and reversibility.

RIPPTECH

Quick Reply: 3.8 performance upgrades