Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3.8 performance upgrades

Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of JK owners are excited about the new 2012 with the pentastar engine because of the increase in hp, but can't a few bolt-ons basically create the same amount of hp as the new 2012 will have? Air intake, headers, throttle body spacer, and exhaust are bound to give a significant boost in performance. Also, I've heard great things about the sprint booster, which helps with throttle response. I have a 2007 JK and I've been debating whether or not to start spending money on performance upgrades or start saving for a 2012 that will have slightly better performance specs. I just feel like I can spend about $1500 to get the same hp increase I'd get with a 2012. Just not sure the 2012 is worth it right now.

Last edited by jbry311; 05-24-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbry311
A lot of JK owners are excited about the new 2012 with the pentastar engine because of the increase in hp, but can't a few bolt-ons basically create the same amount of hp as the new 2012 will have? Air intake, headers, throttle body spacer, and exhaust are bound to give a significant boost in performance. Also, I've heard great things about the sprint booster, which helps with throttle response. I have a 2007 JK and I've been debating whether or not to start spending money on performance upgrades or start saving for a 2012 that will have slightly better performance specs. I just feel like I can spend about $1500 to get the same hp increase I'd get with a 2012. Just not sure the 2012 is worth it right now.

I somewhat agree. I couldn't justify a $4000 difference compared to the 2011 for just an engine/transmission upgrade (assuming that will be all that it is). I feel the engine isn't terrible in the JK (otherwise, I wouldn't have purchased one). Though it would be nice to someday have the prime motor in my Jeep, whatever that may be (Hemi or something with greater than 300 HP).
Old 05-24-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I still had the 3.8 I would have bought a Superchips before buying a Sprint Booster. That said, the fly by wire does have a lot off annoying lag, and the booster did help reduce that. I always run it it Red mode on the street, and there sure ain't no throttle lag at that setting. I probably use less than an inch of pedal travel in normal driving, and would not let anyone unfamiliar with it just jump in and drive it like that.

You can also run the booster and a Superchips. Seems like that might be nice for the 3.8, but kind of pricey.

It will be interesting to see how much the new motor coming out improves the performance/reliability of our bricks on wheels.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hesco has a cam grind for the 3.8.

Good luck finding a dyno sheet or any concrete numbers to back it up.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default RIPP Exhaust

A lot of JK owners are excited about the new 2012 with the pentastar engine because of the increase in hp, but can't a few bolt-ons basically create the same amount of hp as the new 2012 will have? Air intake, headers, ....
My 2011 JKU, was running a stock 3.8l with headers and the MBRP offroad cat back exhaust sold by RIPP. On a chasis dyno, the 3.8l was putting out 150hp, and 180ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels. The Jeep is at Burnsville getting a 5.7l VVT truck crate motor stuffed into her. When it is done, I'll take it back to the dyno and get some new numbers.

By the way; the headers, y pipe, resonator, and MBRP muffler will be for sale. PM me if you might be interested in some "bolt on" horsepower.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Freak

Default Parts

I had pretty good results with
Throttle Body Spacer
Hypertech programmer
Sprint booster Green mode
CAI
Gibson Exhaust
I missed the added HP when I took it all off to be ready for the SC install. I didn't realize how much a difference it made.

Now I sold all of that and with the RIPP SC. I plan on keeping this Jeep is does what I need it to do.
I don't think the '12 will worth it to me.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I had a 2007 JK that I put an AEM Intake and a Magnaflow Catback on. Biggest waste of money in the world. It did not improve power at all--only made it feel more sluggish. I now have a 2011 JK with no performance mods, and it has much more power than the '07 w/mods. Both Jeeps had the same gearing (4.10's) and the same wheels and tires. The only difference was that the '07 was an Unlimited, while the '11 is a 2-dr. I'm sure the 2-dr. has a little more power since it's lighter, but it feels like it has way, way, way more power than the modded '07 Unlimited had. I absolutely will not spend a dime on intake or exhaust on my new Jeep.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mvbeggs

My 2011 JKU, was running a stock 3.8l with headers and the MBRP offroad cat back exhaust sold by RIPP. On a chasis dyno, the 3.8l was putting out 150hp, and 180ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels. The Jeep is at Burnsville getting a 5.7l VVT truck crate motor stuffed into her. When it is done, I'll take it back to the dyno and get some new numbers.

By the way; the headers, y pipe, resonator, and MBRP muffler will be for sale. PM me if you might be interested in some "bolt on" horsepower.
You mind me asking how much the engine swap is costing you? I've thought about a supercharger or engine swap as well. I figured they'd both be between $3k - $5k.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Riptide
My 07 JKU is over 5000 lbs (around 5100-5200 with tires, winch and bumper). Your 11 JK is around 3800lbs (at least stock). That 1300 lbs is a huge difference...
Everything I've read has said that there is only a 300 lb. difference in the weight of an Unlimited vs. 2-dr. Are you counting heavy mods or something? I don't think 300 lbs. is that much difference. When I carried 2ppl. in my 4-dr. vs. 4ppl., I couldn't tell a difference in power.

Last edited by jckid; 05-26-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Jedi

Performance Chip
Gears (4:88's or 5:13's) depending on your tire size and if your tranny is Auto/Manual
Exhaust
Snorkel

If you have money in the future slap on a Ripp supercharger!
The following users liked this post:
Jeepin Julez (11-30-2020)

Quick Reply: 3.8 performance upgrades